Toronto CIBC SQUARE | 241.39m | 50s | Hines | WilkinsonEyre

• Thread starter Suicidal Gingerbread Man
  • Start date
This is like building another Brookfield Place and Scotia Plaza all at once with a new park to boot!

Something like this would take ~5 years to complete from ground-breaking, wouldn't it?

That last rendering gives some nice insight into what the site will look like before phase II is complete. It's an awkward, but necessary, elevated structure that allows this project to place itself one foot inside the door that is the financial district proper, or at least giving the illusion of it. I'm sure the more practical, and more depressing, route that most people will end up taking is the straight path beneath the tracks, but I'm still all for the elevated public space if it means publicly accessible. The railway tracks reallly do complicate everything.
This is currently my favourite office proposal in the works, and looks to be one of the most innovative undertakings from a design and engineering perspective. And hopefully the wait for phase II doesn't end up being too long.

Found some renderings which I believe to be new, my apologies if they have been seen before. From Bay Park Centre website http://www.bayparkcentre.com/

Its frustrating waiting for this project to start....

bay-st-park.jpg

amenity-fp.png

amenity_render_thumb.jpg

building_ages.jpg

teamway.jpg

north_portal.jpg

I think many of the buildings are classified into the wrong decade, e.g., searches online show that Bell Trinity Square, Exchange Tower and Sun Life Centre were all completed before 1985 and so should be dark grey. While 1st Canadian Place, TD Centre and RBC were all pre 1980s so should be light grey.

Its frustrating waiting for this project to start....

Well, yes but it's even more frustrating to have a badly planned and critiqued building built that one has to look at for the next 50 years! In general I like this building but it can be improved with a few more tweaks so best to allow time for that to happen. More haste, less speed and all that.

Interested to see this start - great looking project!

I just wish there was only one of them. No more twins please.

I wish the Bay Adelaide Centre were twins. I'd much rather have twins than one that looks right, and the something's-not-quite-right one.

TD Centre gets it pretty much right. First Canadian Place's Exchange Tower, conversely, seems to have no familial ties to its much bigger older brother, failing to brand the complex as one from the exterior. That diminishes it in my eyes. Bring on the Bay Park twins please!

"To get the tax breaks, projects with construction costs larger than $150-million must be approved by council."

Wouldn't this indicate that the BPC is approved?

Last edited:
I wish the Bay Adelaide Centre were twins. I'd much rather have twins than one that looks right, and the something's-not-quite-right one.

TD Centre gets it pretty much right. First Canadian Place's Exchange Tower, conversely, seems to have no familial ties to its much bigger older brother, failing to brand the complex as one from the exterior. That diminishes it in my eyes. Bring on the Bay Park twins please!

I've never seen anything to confirm it (not that I really have looked) but, rumour has a near identical tower to FCP was original planned for Two First Canadian Place. That would have been quite impressive.

Back