IMG_3515.jpeg
IMG_3516.jpeg
IMG_3517.jpeg
IMG_3518.jpeg
IMG_3519.jpeg

Construction Notice
Pedestrian Bridge Installation at 141 Bay Street

Dear Neighbours,

Thank you for your continued patience as we move forward with our work at 141 Bay Street.

In the coming months we will be working on the pedestrian bridge spanning Yonge Street, south of Front Street West, connecting 141 Bay Street to 1 The Esplanade.

We understand that this type of work can be disruptive, and we are committed to minimizing any inconvenience to our neighbours.

To facilitate the bridge installation, there will be evening lane closures from 9:00 PM to 5:00 AM beginning Monday, July 29, 2024, for approximately nine weeks. During this time, traffic on Yonge Street between Front Street West and Lake Shore Blvd. will be reduced to one lane each direction. In addition, either the eastbound or westbound sidewalk will also be closed, depending on the side of the street needed for the installation.

In addition, on Saturday, July 27, 2024 and Saturday, August 10, 2024 from 9:00 AM to 9:00 PM there will be a full closure of Yonge Street from Front Street West to The Esplanade. Scott Street will also be closed to through traffic (local access only).

We anticipate that the majority of the bridge installation work will be completed by the end of September 2024. We will continue to provide updates as the project progresses, particularly regarding the overnight work.

We thank you in advance for your patience during this weekend closure. If you have any questions pleas reach out to us at community@CIBCSQUARE.com.

Honestly, I know the cosmetic problems don't affect the structure, but every time I look at the older parts of the Gardiner, which chunks of concrete falling off, I'm astonished that it doesn't just collapse.
The structural integrity is not compromised by just chunks of concrete breaking off. The Gardiner Expressway uses steel reinforced (rebar) concrete to hold it up. It becomes dangerous when enough concrete falls off to the point when the steel reinforcements are exposed. At first, it may not be dangerous, however, if left exposed for long enough, it can possibly collapse. The Gardiner Expressway has many columns that hold it up, so if the engineering is good enough, just one column should not cause the whole highway to collapse (hopefully). The steel bear the tensile stresses (which concrete lacks) within the structure and help resist forces like bending and tension. Concrete primarily serves as a protective and compressive element. It surrounds and encases the steel reinforcement, providing compression strength. Concrete is strong in compression, which complements the tensile strength of steel. And protection from corrosion. Concrete covers and protects the steel from environmental factors such as moisture and chemicals, which helps prevent corrosion.

The passageway on the north side is now open at Bay thus giving great access for people like me! Lol

Taken 23 July.

View attachment 582895
View attachment 582896View attachment 582897View attachment 582898View attachment 582899
The walkway between Yonge & Bay has pretty much been open all the time now - they sometimes close it for a few hours if lifting stuff over it but for last few months I think I have never seen it closed. The section that is open all belongs to the Dominion Public Building as far as I know.

Back