Toronto CIBC SQUARE | 241.39m | 50s | Hines | WilkinsonEyre

• Thread starter Suicidal Gingerbread Man
  • Start date
Since ya got me looking, I also looked at the street level landscape plan.

Holy @#$#.............they spec'ed a 45 Foot Tall White Pine for the corner of Bay + Lake Shore.

That will be a crane job w/o a doubt. That's not so far off the height of the Gardiner itself there. In so far as they spec'ed 15M+ It's possible you'll see this tree from the Gardiner upon installation.

Expensive, and high-risk planting! (high risk because even in ideal planting conditions transplanting a tree that size often doesn't go well., and the replacement cost/effort.......yikes)

Street Level plant list below:

1611996843488.png

Last edited:
Since ya got me looking, I also looked at the street level landscape plan.

Holy @#$#.............they spec'ed a 45 Foot Tall White Pine for the corner of Bay + Lake Shore.

That will be a crane job w/o a doubt. That's not so far off the height of the Gardiner itself there. In so far as they spec'ed 15M+ It's possible you'll see this tree from the Gardiner upon installation.

Expensive, and high-risk planting! (high risk because even in ideal planting conditions transplanting a tree that size often doesn't go well., and the replacement cost/effort.......yikes)

Street Level plant list below:

View attachment 297060
If this tree survives replanting, do you think it will thrive in this location?

If this tree survives replanting, do you think it will thrive in this location?

In a word; 'No'.

I love White Pine, but they are not salt tolerant.

They also need full sun to hold onto branches.

That classic look you see for White Pine where they are bare at the bottom and have a few branches jutting out in different directions in the top 1/3 of the tree is because White Pine mercilessly shed any branches that don't bring in more
in sunlight than they cost in energy.

(Which makes me wonder if they have a safety plan around dropping branches) All trees drop branches, but few more routinely than White Pine.

Between the reflective glass, and getting the tree close to over-height w/the Gardiner, it should be able to get enough sun to survive............

Though I would surprised if it looked like anything other than a hydro poll at street level.

But, I would be quite concerned about spray off the Gardiner.

I'd be inclined to want shields tacked onto the parapet walls if the City allowed that.

Who knows, it might make it; it might surprise me; trees are individuals, and some will put up with more than others.

But to me that's one seriously expensive gamble. (guestimate, $20,000 tree, installed)

I think I would have gone the safe route here and planted a Honey Locust.

If you wanted an evergreen, I think White Spruce would probably be the safer choice (they are used to line major highways due to their salt tolerance.)

White Birch is also a risky choice, not the most urban tolerant species.

Lovely tree; but questionable spot for them.

Last edited:
I am surprised they didn't go with LED strip lights on the diamonds. HOWEVER, it did cost my boss close to $3500 dollars to do the Tim Hortons i work in up here and that was only a small area to work with.

Wow, fascinating choices! Hopefully the quality of this development so far is a harbinger for successful plantings.

As an aside, I'd just like to say -- as a user who mostly lurks -- that your thoughtful posts about trees and urban ecology are a pleasure to read, and really a unique contribution to the discussion on this forum. Armchair critics are a dime a dozen on here, myself included, but you're clearly an expert in this area, and your detailed insights are truly appreciated!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210204-165844_Instagram.jpg
    Screenshot_20210204-165844_Instagram.jpg
    661.3 KB · Views: 132
Last edited:
This one wasn't on my list today..........but I caught a glimpse of it leaving the 160 Front site; then a frame photo on my way to the Longos............

So...why not?

Photos from February 4th, 2021:

Peeking out over Union Stn:

1612486136910.png

1612486162364.png

1612486192028.png

1612486226402.png

1612486250732.png

Hmmm, this is where the 45ft White Pine is spec'ed for:

1612486294218.png

1612486327060.png

Back to the building now:

1612486367089.png

1612486432899.png

What going on with phase 2? I thought someone told me it was suppose to start like a month ago but I haven’t heard anything about the second towers construction.

What going on with phase 2? I thought someone told me it was suppose to start like a month ago but I haven’t heard anything about the second towers construction.
Demolition was scheduled for January and into part of February before shoring. They are still working on the site as per Kotsy's photo on #6403, there might be a little delay due to the new Covid restrictions.

Back