Toronto CIBC SQUARE | 241.39m | 50s | Hines | WilkinsonEyre

• Thread starter Suicidal Gingerbread Man
  • Start date
3017CF89-20E4-4C69-99BF-7914B0B30199.jpeg

A sign of good cladding is that not only does look great under any light, but changes to reflect it in interesting ways and sometimes breathtaking ways...

...actually, that's sign of really amazing cladding come to think of it!

A sign of good cladding is that not only does look great under any light, but changes to reflect it in interesting ways and sometimes breathtaking ways...

...actually, that's sign of really amazing cladding come to think of it!

I like watching the skyline, and post a lot of photos here, but my wife couldn't care less mostly. Yesterday, she told me there was a very nice looking building going up that looked like it was somewhere along lower Yonge St. She told me it was "the one with ovals".

Moments before I took the photo posted above I asked her which was the building she liked, and she told me it has to be the one with the diamonds. I wonder what kind of light put ovals in her mind.

The pictures just keep getting nicer and nicer with this tower. Now this is just my opinion, but to me this is the nicest tower to go up in Canada in the last 25 years. It even beats out Telus Sky in Calgary, and anything built in Toronto since at least Scotia Plaza.

The pictures just keep getting nicer and nicer with this tower. Now this is just my opinion, but to me this is the nicest tower to go up in Canada in the last 25 years. It even beats out Telus Sky in Calgary, and anything built in Toronto since at least Scotia Plaza.

In terms of architecture, these towers might always be held back by their strange and slabbish proportions. The Bow is arguably more elegant, even if it is derivative of Toronto's New City Hall to some extent.

In terms of architecture, these towers might always be held back by their strange and slabbish proportions. The Bow is arguably more elegant, even if it is derivative of Toronto's New City Hall to some extent.

That's your opinion. I think The Bow is nice but it just doesn't have the elegance to it. The white triangle lines are too prominent and make it look tacky and cheapen the look to me.

CIBC is more sleek, modern, and will photograph a million times better than The Bow due to the shimmering diamond facade mixed with the lighting features planned for them. The diamonds are more subtle and shine with the light. Instead of being painted white like The Bow.

But skyscrapers are subjective, we all see different things in them.

Last edited:
Pretty sure "the pillbox" is a (lavishly-decorated) suite that Hines is giving to Wilkinson Eyre (a deserved thanx). Interestingly, the cost over-run of this was covertly funded/negotiated by a group of over-paid local photographers (including razz I think).

It's probably an outhouse for the poor sap who gets stuck working on the roof. Flush twice, it's long way down to the basement...

Back