CIBC SQUARE | 241.39m | 50s | Hines | WilkinsonEyre

• Thread starter Suicidal Gingerbread Man
  • Start date

ushahid

Member Bio
Reaction score
im a height fanboy but that tower looks very abnormal. i would like half a dozen supertalls throughout the core.

steveve

Member Bio
Reaction score
Where was it falling from? Do you know? I mean the building’s cold until it’s occupied I guess so it could be from anywhere, or was it the crane for example?
Looked back at another photo that I didn't post from Tuesday. I didn't notice it before, but you can actually see a piece of ice coming down mid-air, just to the right of the crane on the left:

DSC_2398.jpeg

Reecemartin

Member Bio
Reaction score
Towers 500m tall are not practical in Canada, we just don't have the population and it doesn't make financial sense to build that tall. The only place in North America that makes sense for them is New York City with the dense population and large companies demanding it.

Most supertall/megatall towers outside of NA are being built in cities with large populations in nations that are rapidly developing. Most of these are dictatorships and only care about appearances and filling demand. These large towers are also built as cheaply as possible, most likely with slave labour and lacking tons of safety standards that we enjoy over here.
Idk, South Korea, Japan, among other places which are quite democratic have seen supertall structures.

someMidTowner

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
Idk, South Korea, Japan, among other places which are quite democratic have seen supertall structures.
Their largest cities also have a significantly greater population density than Toronto:
Seoul: 16,000/km2
Tokyo: 6,349/km2
Toronto: 4,334.4/km2

someMidTowner

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score