Toronto CIBC SQUARE | 241.39m | 50s | Hines | WilkinsonEyre

• Thread starter Suicidal Gingerbread Man
  • Start date
209BC2C3-6959-4366-8A44-8EB6FF01DD90.jpeg

Attachments

• 14A8BD69-84F6-4E56-BAAF-8925FB723DA5.jpeg
    14A8BD69-84F6-4E56-BAAF-8925FB723DA5.jpeg
    280.6 KB · Views: 421
Front street will be looking real nice with this project, Union revitalization, Union Centre, 40 Front, The Well and Distillery lining the street. Just gotta do something about the butt ugly street design and hopefully replace the convention centre with something that can animate the street a bit more. Really looking forward to seeing the street transform in the coming years!

Front street will be looking real nice with this project, Union revitalization, Union Centre, 40 Front, The Well and Distillery lining the street. Just gotta do something about the butt ugly street design and hopefully replace the convention centre with something that can animate the street a bit more. Really looking forward to seeing the street transform in the coming years!
Don't forget Berczy park and St Lawrence market North. Will be an amazing walk from corktown common to the well.

What an amazing transformation for Front. Just a decade ago it was a forgotten sea of parking lots, and now it's on the verge become a true tourism draw in its own right. Front and King street could easily take up more than a day for a tourist

What an amazing transformation for Front. Just a decade ago it was a forgotten sea of parking lots, and now it's on the verge become a true tourism draw in its own right. Front and King street could easily take up more than a day for a tourist

How exactly is Front Street becoming a "tourism draw"? To me the only interesting part are those few blocks within the St Lawrence area, and Union station. The rest is essentially just run of the mill condos, office buildings, hotels, and a sprawling convention centre. While I agree it's great how the street has changed so much over the years, I really don't think Front Street is comparable to King nor is it high on the to-do list of most tourists.

Last edited:
Oh no, I’m not saying that I expect Front Street to rise to the level of King Street. But nevertheless, consider the developments we have along the street.

Between Union and Spadina, we have several large-scale office developments (Union Park, Union Centre, 160 Front West, The Well), that are going to tremendously animate a largely dead section of Front Street

For tourism, we already have Union Station, the CN Tower and the Convention Center (which will likely be revitalized in the coming years), and just west of Spadina there’s the Well, which will host a large shopping centre (around the size of Dufferin Mall, for reference) and food market. Just east of Union is St Lawrence Market and St Lawrence North, and the Distillery District a bit further east.

So just given how animated this street will become in a few years, and the amount of tourists that will be spending time on or adjacent to street, I feel that some significant public realm improvements are called for here. In fact, it’s disappointing that this wasn’t already done, at least between Union and St Lawrence, with the revitalization of Union, Berczy Park and St Lawrence Market North all happening at more or less concurrently.

Making (relative) quick work, top to bottom and pretty much everywhere between...

CIBC.1.jpg

Prepping more steel high atop the NE corner....

CIBC.2.jpg

Same corner from a different vantage (and a few minutes later)...

CIBC.3.jpg

CIBC.4.jpg

Meanwhile back on earth...(and you just know they have two-ply, possibly three. Heck it looks like creams and perfumes above the toilet in the 'Room To Go'!).

CIBC.5.jpg

Scaffolding continues to rise...

CIBC.6.jpg

..as do glass and framing in the podium...

CIBC.7.jpg

CIBC.8.jpg

3 glass panels added on east side over the course of about 30 mins...

CIBC.9.jpg

CIBC.10.jpg

The result...

CIBC.11.jpg

CIBC.12.jpg

CIBC.13.jpg

Even though this building is somewhat surrounded by others, I wonder if this dramatic glass will cause any reflective distractions for Gardiner drivers during sunrises or sunsets? A sheer wall of very high BRILLIANT glass is certainly different and carries different reflective properties than sun bouncing off of condo balconies.

Even though this building is somewhat surrounded by others, I wonder if this dramatic glass will cause any reflective distractions for Gardiner drivers during sunrises or sunsets? A sheer wall of very high BRILLIANT glass is certainly different and carries different reflective properties than sun bouncing off of condo balconies.
GOD I HOPE SO! Just another reason to tear that elevated piece of cr*p highway down. Wishful thinking ;)

Back