Toronto Church of Scientology | ?m | 8s

the existing building is handsome and could be best improved by replacing the windows and completely re-doing the ground floor. That's all that is needed from an aesthetic perspective. This grey/red plastic window-wall cladding will make it look cheap and disposable like so many of the condos going up rather than the authentic modernist mid-rise brick office building that it is...

It's a great facade that just needs some restoration work. It's so evocative of the 1950s. I like the distinctive 1950s mullion pattern on the windows adding texture and the way the bands of warm brick appear to float on glass. The restraint and simplicity of it is beautiful, though it still presents interesting architectural features. It must be depressing for the people behind Dominion Modern who see the good design of the Modern movement being thrown out the window everywhere in Canada.

Scientology is a religion which attempts to convince people something fictional and untrue, just like Christianity. Let's not pretend one is superior to the other.

The new design is decent. You can't expect every proposal to be first class. I would love to have it instead of the current one. The three tiny houses sitting south of it look ridiculous though.

Scientology is a religion which attempts to convince people something fictional and untrue, just like Christianity. Let's not pretend one is superior to the other.

The new design is decent. You can't expect every proposal to be first class. I would love to have it instead of the current one. The three tiny houses sitting south of it look ridiculous though.

I just have to shake my head at the people who approve of this "makeover". The original is elegant and austere; the proposal is garish and phoney.

The only small consolation is that now the tacky exterior will match what goes on inside.

BTW: I happen to be an atheist, but to compare Scientology with one of the established religions is simplistic in the extreme. The former is ultimately no more than a self-improvement cult, whereas Christianity, Judaism, Islam etc. at their best attempt to wrestle with the big issues of morality, existence, what we owe to others etc.

the existing building is handsome and could be best improved by replacing the windows and completely re-doing the ground floor. That's all that is needed from an aesthetic perspective. This grey/red plastic window-wall cladding will make it look cheap and disposable like so many of the condos going up rather than the authentic modernist mid-rise brick office building that it is...

+1 The recladding will look like a dated gaudy mess.

I just have to shake my head at the people who approve of this "makeover". The original is elegant and austere; the proposal is garish and phoney.

The only small consolation is that now the tacky exterior will match what goes on inside.

BTW: I happen to be an atheist, but to compare Scientology with one of the established religions is simplistic in the extreme. The former is ultimately no more than a self-improvement cult, whereas Christianity, Judaism, Islam etc. at their best attempt to wrestle with the big issues of morality, existence, what we owe to others etc.

We can disagree with each other, but to say the existing is "elegant" is ridiculous. There is nothing elegant or even slightly pleasing about any of it.

It's a great facade that just needs some restoration work. It's so evocative of the 1950s. I like the distinctive 1950s mullion pattern on the windows adding texture and the way the bands of warm brick appear to float on glass. The restraint and simplicity of it is beautiful, though it still presents interesting architectural features. It must be depressing for the people behind Dominion Modern who see the good design of the Modern movement being thrown out the window everywhere in Canada.

I agree.

It's not a religion or even a cult, really: it's a pyramid scheme.

What a nasty piece of crap. This is a fine building the way it is. It just need upkeep.
That rendering looks awful. It always amazes me how easily people are seduced by colour.

Back