Toronto Church of Scientology | ?m | 8s

Tragic proposal. They could only pull it off using the very best quality materials... and they won't.

This will look more dated than it currently does 4 months after this renovation is over.

I've always appreciated the brick/glass balance of this building. Restoration seems more sensible. It's also a better investment because you'd get decades of mileage out of a restoration. The reclad will look cheap when it's done and the style will look silly in under 10-15 years. But since the reclad is a done deal, it should also include lots and lots of neon lights.

Y'know, I remember a few years ago when UT regulars were devastatingly (if maybe sometimes overzealously) merciless re a lot of the cheap claptrap proposed and/or executed in the Y-D Square zone--primary stuff like Toronto Life Square and the Torch, secondary stuff like Hakim, etc. Now, I'm encountering oodles of defence of this, er, rancid and destructive piece of third-rate architectural sewage simply on amateurishly-untutored-BlogTO-commenter grounds of "freshening up" and "adding colour" and whatnot. I shake my head--no wonder people like Urban Shocker et al have given up on the forum, when these kinds of taste-yokels hog the scenery...

Y'know, I remember a few years ago when UT regulars were devastatingly (if maybe sometimes overzealously) merciless re a lot of the cheap claptrap proposed and/or executed in the Y-D Square zone--primary stuff like Toronto Life Square and the Torch, secondary stuff like Hakim, etc. Now, I'm encountering oodles of defence of this, er, rancid and destructive piece of third-rate architectural sewage simply on amateurishly-untutored-BlogTO-commenter grounds of "freshening up" and "adding colour" and whatnot. I shake my head--no wonder people like Urban Shocker et al have given up on the forum, when these kinds of taste-yokels hog the scenery...

Amen to that.

hey, don't you know that 'all opinions are equally valid'? haven't you heard that all assessments of architectural value are nothing more than 'purely subjective expressions of personal taste'?

anyway, it does seem like the know-nothings have increased their presence on the forum in the recent past...and it certainly does make it a less interesting place....

Last edited:
The re-clad reminds me of movie depictions of the headquarters of an evil organization. You know, the type that starts out as some health company out to save humanity, only to find out that they're really some evil organ havesting farm. And then the protagonist has to go in and kill all the management. So here's hoping it brings filming some terrible movies to Toronto, because it's not got a lot else going for it.

I shake my head--no wonder people like Urban Shocker et al have given up on the forum, when these kinds of taste-yokels hog the scenery...

It's good that you have given up on this forum - I am sure a good amount of us were getting tired of your .gif attachments. Oh, and get over 45 Charles already.

It's good that you have given up on this forum - I am sure a good amount of us were getting tired of your .gif attachments. Oh, and get over 45 Charles already.

(a) I haven't given up on the forum (yet), and (b) technically, I *have* gotten over 45 Charles, but it's still a useful posthumous bludgeon to direct at the "good riddance to that ugly POS" modernist-philistines among us. (For you see, it's in the *way* one "gets over it"...)

i would say it takes a lot of nerve to criticize someone who has over 12,000 posts on the forum.

anyway i can assure you that there are just as many of us who are dead tired of your sleep-inducing 'updates' of spandrel being installed at various subpar buildings around the GTA.

urbantoronto-6178-19757_zpsfd2d8780.jpg

I'd like to use this opportunity to remind everyone once again to USE YOUR IGNORE LIST and stop spamming the boards with your petty arguments.

If someone is that intolerable to you, set them to Ignore. There will still be hundreds of other regular forum users here with whom you can engage in quality discussion.

I'd like to use this opportunity to remind everyone once again to USE YOUR IGNORE LIST and stop spamming the boards with your petty arguments.

If someone is that intolerable to you, set them to Ignore. There will still be hundreds of other regular forum users here with whom you can engage in quality discussion.

There is absolutely nothing petty about an argument over the ruination of a beautiful modernist building.

Further, the cluttering of the forum with people cheering on said destruction is no joke.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I am not at all in favour of this renovation. A restoration would be much, much better.

However, the petty argument I was referring to is the above personal attacking and bickering that has nothing to do with this building. Maybe you have something to prove about your great knowledge. But I'd take a bunch of "know-nothings" who know how to engage in polite discussion and debate over 1 well-informed person on the boards who clutters up threads with their bickering.

Last edited:
However, the petty argument I was referring to is the above personal attacking and bickering that has nothing to do with this building. Maybe you have something to prove about your great knowledge. But I'd take a bunch of "know-nothings" who know how to engage in polite discussion and debate over 1 well-informed person on the boards who clutters up threads with their bickering.

right, you'd take "a bunch of "know-nothings" who know how to engage in polite discussion and debate". great. *eyeroll*

anyway, the problem is--its the know nothings who don't know how to debate, for the simple reason that they don't know what they're talking about. so they say stupid things like "bring it on", and "can't wait", about the destruction of this building.

and because they don't have history, knowledge, or taste on their side, they throw out smartass, ignorant, taunting remarks like this, aimed at one of the most interesting, worthwhile, intelligent, outspoken, most senior members of the forum:

"It's good that you have given up on this forum - I am sure a good amount of us were getting tired of your .gif attachments. Oh, and get over 45 Charles already."

believe me, its not Adma that is the problem here.

i would say it takes a lot of nerve to criticize someone who has over 12,000 posts on the forum.

anyway i can assure you that there are just as many of us who are dead tired of your sleep-inducing 'updates' of spandrel being installed at various subpar buildings around the GTA.

If you have looked at my photo updates, I post far more than "sleep-inducing updates" that you speak of. I have covered everything from Sync Lofts in the East end to Fuzion King in the West end. I have covered projects that often times have not been covered and even photographed some of our favourite projects. If you do not like my photo updates, no problem at all.

I simply do not like adma's self righteous attitude. Judging by his visitor messages, a good amount of people don't. We are all entitled to our opinions about the Scientology building, but unfortunately adma's opinion seems to matter the most. With that said, I do not like the updated render of the building, nor am I a fan of the building in it's current form. There - that's my opinion. And just because you may have over 12,000 posts does not mean that you are free to roam the forums like some sort of god. I only have 900 posts, most of which are photo updates. I guess that makes me sub-human?

I edited my post to put this in. Perhaps I was a bit out of line and I do apologize for that. I really am not one to create conflict, especially on a forum. In the end, I do not want people to be afraid to post on this forum. I'll be the first to admit, I do not know much about architecture, but that shouldn't stop me from posting how I feel about buildings - should it? If I were to say, "I do not like the Scientology building in it's current form with it's sexy AC units hanging out the windows and I'd much rather see the building torn down" - then I should have the right to say that and not feel guilty about it. In the end, let's continue on with discussion about the building. Once again, my apologies.

Last edited:

Back