News   Apr 15, 2024
 859     0 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 2K     4 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 637     0 

Toronto/Chicago comparisons

It's only on internet sites like this, that people talk about Chicago. In the real world, very few people talk about Chicago. (or skyscrapers, for that matter)

It's only on internet sites like this, that people talk about Chicago. In the real world, very few people talk about Chicago. (or skyscrapers, for that matter)

With the politicization and media coverage of transit in recent months however, hearing random folks talking about transit expansions and whatnot has been a common theme on my commutes.

I can't speak for New Yorkers but I find it's people in Toronto who talk about Chicago a lot... which makes sense really considering how close we are. In Chicago I've found they talk about Toronto too. I've met lots of people there who expressed wanting to come visit, that it was definitely high in their coolness ranking, though I wonder now if Ford has changed this at all?

People in New York only talk about vacation destinations and second homes. Toronto, Chicago and 99% of the planet is simply not on their radar.

People in New York only talk about vacation destinations and second homes. Toronto, Chicago and 99% of the planet is simply not on their radar.

Yes, that's what I mean about Toronto too (vacations, not second homes), that I often hear people talking about going to Chicago, or having just been, or what a great time they had there at some point. Point being, I get the impression a lot of people in Toronto go to Chicago, and likely because it's a famous place that's close and accessible (relatively).

If I may: I know three people who have been to Chicago in the last two years. Two were unimpressed, the third thought "it was OK".
I know zero people discussing a trip there.
I know one person who lives there. She likes her job and is staying.
I know one person who grew up there and now lives in Toronto and never wants to go back.

Anecdotal evidence suggests that Chicago is not attractive.

Yes, that's what I mean about Toronto too (vacations, not second homes), that I often hear people talking about going to Chicago, or having just been, or what a great time they had there at some point. Point being, I get the impression a lot of people in Toronto go to Chicago, and likely because it's a famous place that's close and accessible (relatively).

Everyone i know loves going Chicago. it's a fantastic place to visit. You mentioned it's close and relatively accessible, I also find Chicago is less expensive than a place like NYC. Chicago's hotel and dining prices are about the same as Toronto's if not a tad less. I've stayed at Trump Chicago and The Four Seasons for the same price as what a three star hotel would cost me in NYC. Chicago's fine dining IMHO ranks up there with NYC now a days.

Last summer my friend and i flew to Chicago for a long weekend and took the subway to Oak Park and did the walking tour of the Frank Lloyd Wright mansions. We are planning to fly out again next year to see the Bowie exhibit at The Museum of Contemporary Art. We enjoyed the exhibit so much at the AGO we want to see it again, and it gives us an excuse to visit Chicago.

Last edited:
I feel the two cities are similar in some ways. Walking around Chicago I got a familiar feeling as though walking in Toronto. Favorite part of the city was Magnificent Mile.

Chicago's fine dining IMHO ranks up there with NYC now a days.

Definitely agree with this. TO has no shortage of trendy hipster haunts these days but fine dining CHI has the upper hand not just over us, but maybe even NYC (and cheaper to boot).

I can second that ! But when it comes to none fine dining Toronto is right up their and depending on the category I find there are more innovative options here / again this is the middle of the road class of restaurants (purely from a price point perspective).

That shouldn't really come as a huge surprise though no ? Just visit the mink mile or the like and the shear number of high end retailers is still much much higher then Toronto.

I think it's definately a cultural thing as well. I think Torontonians do emphasize "value" in their consumption psychology. A quick internet search would seem to back up my hypothesis. Toronto has more "millionaires" as of 2012 according to something called WealthInsight than Chicago and somewhat surprising to me almost as many as LA. Yet if others here are correct Chicago (and definately LA) have a more mature luxury goods and fine food market. So either Toronto small businesses suck at creating markets for their goods, disposable income levels are lower for our wealthy compared to the American wealthy, and/or their is some truth to the stereotype of wealthy people in this city driving Honda Civics and eating at the food court.

As a quick aside it is interesting to note since I'm talking about wealth and luxury goods and services here that while Toronto and Chicago have similar numbers of millionaires, Toronto has a lot more multi-millionaires (those with over $ 30 million) than Chicago, but Chicago has a lot more Billionaires than Toronto.

Last edited:
I feel the two cities are similar in some ways. Walking around Chicago I got a familiar feeling as though walking in Toronto. Favorite part of the city was Magnificent Mile.

Walking in downtown Chicago doesn't feel like walking in downtown Toronto at all. Walking in downtown Toronto (Yonge st, Queen st, King st etc) feels more like Queens, NY, as someone pointed out earlier.

Speaking of Magnificent mile, we don't have anything nearly equivalent, in terms of architecture and being upscale. Toronto's buildings are obviously much smaller and shorter.

Chicago definitely feels like a bigger and richer city, judging from downtown, if you have to ask me.

I can second that ! But when it comes to none fine dining Toronto is right up their and depending on the category I find there are more innovative options here / again this is the middle of the road class of restaurants (purely from a price point perspective)

You're right, it depends on the category. For example Toronto has the best gastro pubs in North America. Haute cuisine just doesn't fit in Toronto, and that's fine. NYC, Paris, London, Milan have always been famous for their haute cuisine and Michelin star awarded restaurants. NYC became saturated with fine dining. So world renowned chefs started moving to other American cities like L.A and Chicago.

As a quick aside it is interesting to note since I'm talking about wealth and luxury goods and services here that while Toronto and Chicago have similar numbers of millionaires, Toronto has a lot more multi-millionaires (those with over $ 30 million) than Chicago, but Chicago has a lot more Billionaires than Toronto.

Yeah but Chicago and the rest of America has way more materialistic suburbanites than us ;)

Last edited:

Back