Toronto Chelsea Green (was 33 Gerrard) | 297.25m | 90s | Great Eagle | a—A

I've said before ROCP & Aura is the city's 'biggest' disappointment given the materials at their disposal - an entire block, a pre-existing parkette, and a Deco masterpiece in the former Eatons department store. So it's vital this block to the south be given to a proven architect, maybe someone from outside Toronto,. H&P cant do verything.

The disappointment started with the residential addition on the original Eaton Store and the Maclean Hunter building - the ultimate outcome of the superblock is a very, very clear demonstration of how we made swine ears out of a silk purse.

AoD

The disappointment started with the residential addition on the original Eaton Store and the Maclean Hunter building - the ultimate outcome of the superblock is a very, very clear demonstration of how we made swine ears out of a silk purse.

AoD
Huh??, haha the MH bldg a disappointment............A great looking 30 storey 120m office bldg. built (1983) 30 yrs ago @ Bay and College, ...where were you?

Huh??, haha the MH bldg a disappointment............A great looking 30 storey 120m office bldg. built (1983) 30 yrs ago @ Bay and College, ...where were you?

I can name quite a few buildings from that era that still look good now - this one isn't one of them incidentally (and if it was, they wouldn't have been contemplating recladding the sucker). And certainly, the potential of the block was wasted, especially considering the grandeur that was the original Eaton Store. Where were you?

AoD

Are we talking about that very reflective blue mirrored box? If so, I have to say that is one of my favourite buildings.

Between this site and the World's Biggest Bookstore site, we can have a real solid PATH connection with Aura and College Park.

385 Yonge Street development across the street can also allow for a PATH connection to the east side of Yonge. (And to the SLC and Ryerson?)

Between this site and the World's Biggest Bookstore site, we can have a real solid PATH connection with Aura and College Park.

385 Yonge Street development across the street can also allow for a PATH connection to the east side of Yonge. (And to the SLC and Ryerson?)
Does the City have any power to compel a development to put in a PATH connection? And are any of the developments north of College proposing extensions of PATH through them?

Like a lot of people, I'd love to see PATH run from the lake up to Bloor...

Like a lot of people, I'd love to see PATH run from the lake up to Bloor...

Sure let's ruin Yonge all the way up to Bloor the way PATH did to Yonge south of Dundas.

I used to work in that glass, reflective building. It's a nice building. Nice lobby with high ceilings and the design has not aged. Can't say the same for most buildings that went up in that era.

Sure let's ruin Yonge all the way up to Bloor the way PATH did to Yonge south of Dundas.

It is the long winter that makes PATH attractive, nothing else.
Can we not provide a more simple PATH without too much added retail? Just a path to get to places, maybe with some art work, not an underground mall. I am 30 seconds from PATH and I rarely shop underground but the passageway itself is very useful. I just don't find this kind of retail appealing.

Too bad the people don't use the PATH to shop or walk through... not.

What would be better is a covered walkway. Open in summer, but enclosed in winter.
cafes-souvenir-shops-and-various-businesses-line-the-covered-walkway-C181FX.jpg

The PATH is an incredible asset that Toronto has. But it is currently being underutilized.

As of now, it is only really alive from 9-5 on weekdays, and the claims that it kills vibrancy is not far off. But it doesn't have to be this way. I believe that the PATH can become something incredibly great and incredibly urban with just a little bit of creative imagination, visionary thinking and ambitious leadership. We have to ask, if Paris had the PATH network to their disposal, what would they do with it?

But in the meantime, it must be expanded at every opportunity and best to get the developers to pony up the bill in exchange for air rights.

I think the Path has its benefits - but it does take something away from the street-life - and therefore should be managed with some care. I'd rather this a city of people on the street than moles underground. It works in the financial district b/c there are just so many people from 8-6 that both street and path can feel full of life - but not every part of the city can handle it - and therefore it needs to be managed.

I already hear people complaining about there being too much pedestrian traffic on Yonge Street and too little sidewalk. That will only intensify as Yonge continues to re-develop, so I don't really see a lack of street life as being a problem. If anything the PATH will help to absorb some of the overflow.

Back