Toronto CHAZ | 150.87m | 47s | 45 Charles Ltd | P + S / IBI

The Shangri-La is a project with a very very high budget for the building envelope; this project is not. There is no comparison between the curtain-wall on Shangri-La and the window-wall on this thing.

That said, I don't find the glazing on CHAZ to be unattractive. The dark green spandrel isn't unattractive and the arrangement of mullions and cladding along the slabs' edges look tidy. But I wouldn't want to buy a unit in a project with this grade of cladding.

The Shangri-La is a project with a very very high budget for the building envelope; this project is not. There is no comparison between the curtain-wall on Shangri-La and the window-wall on this thing.

That said, I don't find the glazing on CHAZ to be unattractive. The dark green spandrel isn't unattractive and the arrangement of mullions and cladding along the slabs' edges look tidy. But I wouldn't want to buy a unit in a project with this grade of cladding.

The cost of exterior finishes is besides the point... What I was saying was that there's no way of determining that a building will be unattractive based upon what you see at the site during construction when its <6 storeys up (extrapolating from renderings can help, but they aren't always accurate or reflective of the final product). Hell, I'm sure there've been hundreds of projects that have MASSIVE budgets for exterior finishes that started to look more and more horrendous as the building was built. I see what you're saying, though I doubt it'd be wise to determine at this point in construction that one should not buy a unit in the building because the cladding isn't as expensive as that on the shangri-la.

My point wasn't that people shouldn't buy a unit here because the cladding isn't as expensive as that on the Shangri-La project.

My point was that I wouldn't buy here because most window-wall cladding has been proven time and time again to have a very short lifespan in a climate like Toronto. (I say this as I sit in front of the window-wall on my 5-year-old condo which is draftier than an old cabin and which has plenty of failed gaskets. Very typical in this city!)

considering Chaz and Shangri-La are going for similar $psf, if I were in the market I'd rather buy at SL knowing they have used higher quality materials outside and inside the building (Boffi ITALIAN KITCHENS, DORNBRACHT, MIELE, SUB-ZERO AND KOHLER APPLIANCES & FIXTURES, WOOD & STONE FLOORING, POLIFORM CLOSET SYSTEMS FROM ITALY), lower number of units and rental tenants, larger sized owner occupied residences, etc.

Last edited:
considering Chaz and Shangri-La are going for similar $psf,

Whatchutalkinboutwillis???

Shangri-la - $1,095 avrg ppsf SOLD
Chaz - $695 avrg ppsf SOLD

Stop hangin out with big Rob... Crack is whack!

Shangri-la and chaz is NOT an apples to apples comparison. I was not implying that originally. All in all, while you might not be getting all those luxury finishes - which is absolutely reasonable considering the near 100% price difference between the two, I think you're at the very least getting what you pay for. Which is still besides the original point. The building is alot more unqiue than most going up around here. All im saying is that its too early to start bashing and trashing the thing. Its tiring seeing rectangles everywhere..

Modern, out of curiosity, what is it about the cladding that makes you come to the conclusion that its so subpar? Are you familiar with the make?

I base my conclusion on 1) studying window-wall and related envelope systems, and 2) my personal experience with window-wall systems on P+S-designed buildings.

I base my conclusion on 1) studying window-wall and related envelope systems, and 2) my personal experience with window-wall systems on P+S-designed buildings.

Given the popular floor to ceiling glass condos are now passing the 10-year mark, and your suite is already drafty at 5, what's a ballpark cost to replace an entire building's window-wall once failure is widespread on say a 40 storey building?

To be honest, I am not sure I can give you an accurate estimate on that. It would be millions though. Though cheaper than some other types of cladding, anyone who's had windows replaced on their house knows how expensive glazing is!

If you're genuinely interested, I'm happy to email one of my profs and ask about that. There would be plenty of variables, but maybe we can get a rough number. I'd love to know as well. In a year or so I'll have the chance to specialize in project management and then I'd be able to give you a better answer!

To be honest, I am not sure I can give you an accurate estimate on that. It would be millions though. Though cheaper than some other types of cladding, anyone who's had windows replaced on their house knows how expensive glazing is!

If you're genuinely interested, I'm happy to email one of my profs and ask about that. There would be plenty of variables, but maybe we can get a rough number. I'd love to know as well. In a year or so I'll have the chance to specialize in project management and then I'd be able to give you a better answer!

Thank you modern, no worries, I was only curious. There's been a lot of debate around here on the pro's & con's of floor to ceiling windows so I was wondering roughly what kind of money condo corps. will be looking at 20 or 30 years down the road for said replacement.

$1,095 vs $695 is about 57% difference, NOT 100%.
also, where are you pulling these figures from because SL is registered and resales are available, while Chaz is still in construction.

if you include the Private Estates and not just the Private Residences for SL, you could be correct for the SL ppsf (but I think they are 2 separate condo corps).

anyhow, there are currently several listings on MLS for units that are asking $750-825 ppsf in Private Residences for SL.
also, SL includes at least 1 parking spot and locker with the units for the price.

Whatchutalkinboutwillis???

Shangri-la - $1,095 avrg ppsf SOLD
Chaz - $695 avrg ppsf SOLD

Stop hangin out with big Rob... Crack is whack!

Shangri-la and chaz is NOT an apples to apples comparison. I was not implying that originally. All in all, while you might not be getting all those luxury finishes - which is absolutely reasonable considering the near 100% price difference between the two, I think you're at the very least getting what you pay for. Which is still besides the original point. The building is alot more unqiue than most going up around here. All im saying is that its too early to start bashing and trashing the thing. Its tiring seeing rectangles everywhere..

Modern, out of curiosity, what is it about the cladding that makes you come to the conclusion that its so subpar? Are you familiar with the make?

They'd be skipping 4, 13, 14, etc.

22 Feb 2014
tIVhkQS.jpg

Jg8ODNM.jpg

jbOqTbK.jpg

$1,095 vs $695 is about 57% difference, NOT 100%.
also, where are you pulling these figures from because SL is registered and resales are available, while Chaz is still in construction.

if you include the Private Estates and not just the Private Residences for SL, you could be correct for the SL ppsf (but I think they are 2 separate condo corps).

anyhow, there are currently several listings on MLS for units that are asking $750-825 ppsf in Private Residences for SL.
also, SL includes at least 1 parking spot and locker with the units for the price.

My apologies, I mispoke/typed. A (roughly) 100% increase I believe is the correct terminology.

Back