Toronto CHAZ | 150.87m | 47s | 45 Charles Ltd | P + S / IBI

Seems to me you've misread the situation above. adma's post was in response to Jets' ignorant celebration of the loss of the DuBois building and shouldn't be taken as anything other than: 'why should we pay you any mind when you're the kind of person who would find this *house* superior.' Seems to me it's less "starting shit for the sake of starting shit" or "opinions are opinions" than responding accurately to someone who would sooner rip out a (somewhat important) piece of our ever-dwindling heritage stock for another poorly-conceived Wassermuhl-ism a la Museum House. In that sense, the question of 'which house' isn't necessarily about the structures in question (though it is) as much as it is the existential value choices which might lead an individual to choose one over the other.

I realize this is a response to a relatively long ago post, but you've misread Adam. He and I clashed over this building as well - a handful of posts which culminated in him trying to 'school' me with a building in my city which I not only love, but live a block away from. Jets lack of finesse aside, if you simply disagree with Adam and you're not one of the handful of regulars he deems worthy of an opinion, you're immediately subjected to ridicule and insults. He's admitted it's his 'style'. Once our conversation moved into private message territory, he bizarrely invited me to meet him, I'm guessing so he could further 'teach' me. I found it exceptionally unsettling. I enjoy my time here. There are people who are passionate about what's discussed and I understand and accept that. Adam though, is a whole other deal.

Ah, that Aaron. The UT equivalent of an anti-molestation activist eager to wipe everything by Polanski off the film-student's curriculum...

And we rest our case too: that's exactly the kind of ad hominem attack that we've banned adma for in the past, so Aaron, welcome to the club.

What a strange conversation. I still don't understand though why people on this site can't just let things go. Everyone has their opinion and no one will get everyone else to agree with them, which is such a good thing anyway, as it would make life incredibly boring. Lets all try the high road, just agree to disagree and change topics when needed to keep the threads moving along.

And we rest our case too: that's exactly the kind of ad hominem attack that we've banned adma for in the past, so Aaron, welcome to the club.

wait - i don't understand - why did you ban aaron? i thought aaron wanted to ban adam. this is all very confusing to me.

Ah, that Aaron. The UT equivalent of an anti-molestation activist eager to wipe everything by Polanski off the film-student's curriculum...

Hahahaha Sorry, who was using ad hominem?

So Aaron gets banned and Adma doesn't.
Whatever...........................i feel like I'm back in kindergarten. It seems that UT is turning more and more into communist China.

Come on, clearly Aaron brought this back from nowhere, and his attacks were more pointed. The only reason he was posting suddenly was to kick up a fuss, and adma's response was mild in comparison. There are degrees to everything, and if we banned everyone who made the slightest jab, many of you would be taking more time off.

Adma's taken time off on several occasions and his style has changed. Aaron is just getting a short enforced vacation and will be back soon. Calling someone vile, etc., is not acceptable.

I am staying out of this...

But it does seem strange....:confused:

Go Chaz!!!

You think some day.. some one will be fighting to save the Uptown, from the developers axe??? lol??:rolleyes:

So Aaron gets banned and Adma doesn't.
Whatever...........................i feel like I'm back in kindergarten. It seems that UT is turning more and more into communist China.

one time i got banned for saying the word "boom"

What a strange conversation. I still don't understand though why people on this site can't just let things go. Everyone has their opinion and no one will get everyone else to agree with them, which is such a good thing anyway, as it would make life incredibly boring. Lets all try the high road, just agree to disagree and change topics when needed to keep the threads moving along.

Though speaking of the matter of whether to "let things go" or not, I find this thread's treatment of 45 Charles to be fascinating to consider--and as I've said before, I, personally, really don't have to pitch in anymore. The case "for it" has been affirmed--maybe not to the point where it could be saved; but enough that it's been the object of informed, nuanced, sympathetic reflection that goes beyond, uh, monstrous-carbuncle-bashing. It's like this thread's officially about Chaz; but as part of the lead-in to Chaz's construction, it's also served as a nice, worthy little wake for that which is being removed on behalf of Chaz--even the process of its deconstruction seems the object of creative reflection here, something which lies beyond the poles of "shame" or "good riddance". In a way, as part of the appreciation of how cities evolve, it's become *imperative* that we--within reason, of course--not "let this go". (After all, the skeleton still exists in bits and pieces as of this writing.)

And the whole problem with jetsbackincanada-style "good riddance" logic is that it's inherently philistine--not in the sense that it advocates architectural destruction, but in the manner in which it advocates said destruction; like, just a simple-mindedly vengeful blow-it-up mentality. That 45 Charles makes a beautiful ruin has nothing whatsoever to do with its having "deserved it", a la a murderer at the gallows...

Hideous? You've been hanging around Ladies Mile too much.

Actually, if I recall correctly, she seems rather fond of some of that clunky, Husky Boy late Victorian / Richardsonian stuff. My point, in comparing the DuBois building's skeletal remains with those of the Temple building at a similar stage in its decline, was to draw attention to the way in which DuBois used structural materials also as exterior expressive form compared to how the Temple's architects slathered masonry all over the supporting structure to disguise it.

Back