Toronto CHAZ | 150.87m | 47s | 45 Charles Ltd | P + S / IBI

Seriously, what's the big deal with taking pics?

My late father once gave me tis advice, "Son, always beware of corporals.". By that, he meant people with a little bit of authority, customs officials. Government clerks and, of course, security guards. They are very defensive of the little bit of authority they possess, resist any challenge to it and do not know when to be flexible. If they had those capacities, they likely wouldn't still be corporals! They can be easy to offend and then get mindlessly difficult.

I have always found this wise advice.

I tried to get pics on my iPhone from both sides of the site but this GOOF security guard came from out of nowhere and would stand in front of me blocking my view telling me to stop taking pictures and to go away. We argued, some choice language was exchanged then he pulled out his cell to call the police. Imagine? I told him I was on public property but he said I'm taking pictures of private property. More choice language exchanged. Idiot.

Anyway, the building is gone now, just two mounds of broken up concrete remain :(

wow....weird!

The settlement on the application to increase the height by 8 floors includes $1.6 million towards the future reconstruction of Charles Street.

Boy, it'll need it with all these mega buildings going up along here, not to mention infrastructure upgrades (water, sewage etc. to serve the area efficiently) - and of course wider sidewalks between Jarvis & Yonge!

I tried to get pics on my iPhone from both sides of the site but this GOOF security guard came from out of nowhere and would stand in front of me blocking my view telling me to stop taking pictures and to go away. We argued, some choice language was exchanged then he pulled out his cell to call the police. Imagine? I told him I was on public property but he said I'm taking pictures of private property. More choice language exchanged. Idiot.

Anyway, the building is gone now, just two mounds of broken up concrete remain :(

I would have asked him how he stops people in the balconies on the building beside it from taking photos of the private property. Haha.

The guys i know who can't hold a steady job and severely lack communication and social skills, end up being low paid security guards. Keep taking pics!

I would have asked him how he stops people in the balconies on the building beside it from taking photos of the private property. Haha.

Good point! I don't care what any of these guys say, this has happened before to me and I recall reading about it happening to others too.
I wish we had a member who lives in one of those buildings to take photos looking down onto the CHAZ site now, and as the project moves forward.

I get these fools asking me all the time why was I taking picture and right do you have to do it. I say I am on public land and have the right to take pictures as well why.

I even had construction workers say the same thing. I was standing in the middle of the road taking photos when the union rep walk up to me and told me to stop taking photos of the men. I said I wasn't and told him what I was shooting to him. He stood there and move with me as I try to take photos so he could block my view. I told him where he could go. In the end, I got my shots.

From time to time, you will get workers saying no picture even though they are out of the direction I am shooting. When I get people telling me on a work site not to shoot photo, bells goes off for me. Is someone working on a site that not supposed to be there in the first place? Is poor construction taking place/short cuts? Not a union personnel?

From my past experience, yes could be the answer. Had a few workers who went on compensation only to be found working on another site or fishing well on leave by a doctor note. They had to pay money back.

Most of all, most construction workers will go out of their way to try to get into the photo or ask me to take a photo of them or a group of them. Do this from time to time. Even had a few police office do this.

Take all the photos you want as you never know when it will become part of history or end up in the newspapers. A few of my photos have made it to the papers.

I guess this is where I come in!

The demolition crew (PDI) has finished tearing down the old structure and removing the exterior foundation walls, filling the perimeter with concrete. They are packing up the site today and I expect them to be gone by the end of the week. A few pictures from the past few months, starting with today:
IMG_0803.jpg
IMG_0784.jpg
IMG_0707.jpg
IMG_0783.jpg
IMG_0685.jpg
IMG_0622.jpg
IMG_0577.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0803.jpg
    IMG_0803.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 294
  • IMG_0784.jpg
    IMG_0784.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 295
  • IMG_0685.jpg
    IMG_0685.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 284
  • IMG_0783.jpg
    IMG_0783.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 288
  • IMG_0707.jpg
    IMG_0707.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 281
  • IMG_0622.jpg
    IMG_0622.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 278
  • IMG_0577.jpg
    IMG_0577.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 284
Last edited:
Thanks for the great photos mikedb, our new Casa friend - and welcome to the group!

Awesome photos, mikedb! :) Welcome to UrbanToronto.

Also-- all the demolition equipment was removed from the site today.

Anchor has begun to move on site- a drill rig was delivered (at 5:30) this morning. It is a smaller rig than what was used at the 1 Bloor site- perhaps the garage won't be quite as deep.

O69IE.jpg

Last edited:

Back