Toronto Centro Condos | ?m | 31s | Henderson | IBI Group

IMO there's a strip plaza on the south side of Ellesmere across the street from the woodlot that would be ideal for densification.

Shadows shouldn't be an issue since it's on the south side of a 6-lane road with the woodlot on the north.

Plenty of commercial/industrial lands around Midland Ave / Ellesmere Rd / Markham Rd / Sheppard Ave corridor.

The potential to build condos on industrial land along Markham or Sheppard has absolutely *nothing* to do with the woodlots along Borough Drive. If you think I'm itching to see those woodlots razed for the sake of adding X number of towers, please [re]read what I actually posted.

Dec. 14, pano of SCC and Centro's pit on the right:
3110229165_7be51ca094_b.jpg

The woodlot to the south of Centro's site does seem to be a dead zone insofar as it deters pedestrian activity into and out of Borough Drive. I wouldn't mind having this piece of land be turned into a parkette of some sort. The area west of the woodlot has a nice sculpture of some sort that serves nicely as a parkette.

Another problem with Borough Drive ever becoming more of an urban corridor is the delivery entrances to Civic Centre front onto Borough Drive, not the most inviting area for the pedestrian.

Last edited:
No you're not, Scarberian, as long as everything proposed for the woodlot site has a green roof. Also, you'll have to find something else in Scarborough to name after its last mayor before you can chop down Frank Faubert Forest.

If it means anything, there's a short little road called Frank Faubert Drive just northeast of the Rouge Hill GO station.

Nice pano T-Squared. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe there's a pathway that begins right at McCowan and Ellesmere and cuts diagonally through the woodlot and then another one starting further west along Ellesmere. Beyond security concerns I don't think these woodlots present any pedestrian barrier.(Those security concerns, i.e. lack of light at night and visibility, could be improved by widening the pathway to open up the canopy and adding lights. Fairly simple.)

Nice pano T-Squared. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe there's a pathway that begins right at McCowan and Ellesmere and cuts diagonally through the woodlot and then another one starting further west along Ellesmere. Beyond security concerns I don't think these woodlots present any pedestrian barrier.(Those security concerns, i.e. lack of light at night and visibility, could be improved by widening the pathway to open up the canopy and adding lights. Fairly simple.)

You're right jswag, and I did mention it originally with security in mind and that it poses more of a psychological barrier. Widening the paths would be a good idea.

June 26 2009 update

Centro's out of the ground and now on the 2nd floor ~

IMG_3932-1.jpg

IMG_3933.jpg

From the Daily Commercial News (provides the architect and other companies associated with the building):

June 25, 2009
Centro crew works on condominium project in Scarborough, Ontario HOWARD MANDEL/APERTURE IMAGING

Work progresses for the Centro Residential Condominiums in Scarborough, Ont. Construction manager Dominus Construction Group began the 31-storey, 578-unit project in April 2008 and the work also includes 16 townhouses and four levels of parking. The Centro was designed by IBI Group Architects. Consultants are Read Jones Christoffersen Consulting Engineers (structural) and Jain and Associates (mechanical/electrical). Subtrades include: Costa Earthmoving Inc. (excavation); Anchor Shoring & Caissons Ltd. Gilbert Steel Ltd. (rebar); Premform Ltd. (formwork); RES Precast; Innocon Inc. (concrete); D. Zentil Mechanical Ltd. Mayfair Electric Ltd.; Allan Window Systems Inc.; Protech Roofing Waterproofing Ltd.; and ThyssenKrupp Elevator Ltd.

Forgive my being stupid - only phase 1 is being built, is that correct?

nope, from what I saw on site ... the 2 towers (phases) are being built at the same time, approximately where the 2 cranes are shown in the above photos

slabbish ?? I don't agree ...... more like a point tower with lots of precast + spandrels, not particularly pretty, but the podium I do like ~

pic.jpg

I said it would be slabbish if it was one building (as Archivist noted by the wording of the article) with 578 units. These buildings will fit in with the rest of the SCC condos.

Back