Toronto Centro Condos | ?m | 31s | Henderson | IBI Group

Thanks for the pics. I think they are starting construction on time, which is great. Having seen the how the townhomes of Centro are to be situated along Town Centre Crt, this area have the potential to be a nice dense residential community that would be appropriate for a designated city centre.

Actually people do care. Thanks for posting this. Nice to see Scarborough following up after recent updates for Etobicoke and North York.

I know people do care, it was more of a response to Interchange's sarcasm

Truly. Best not to enter this thread again.

42 signing out

I saw the Etobicoke and North York updates and felt I should represent my Borough.

People were making fun of the renderings of some of these projects, like EQ, because they showed condos surrounded by parkland, but these pics show that the renderings were indeed quite accurate...these condos are across the street from a forest.

I know people do care, it was more of a response to Interchange's sarcasm.

No sarcasm intended. I'm not a particular fan of Scarborough Town Centre* nor these buildings, so it was just a factual statement. Other people might like all this stuff though...

*Scarborough Civic Centre being the exception - very interesting Moriyama design that screams 70s modern like nothing else in town.

It's disappointing that Moriyama's full plan for the Scarborough Centre area never materialized...if memory serves me correctly, even the civic centre was to have been expanded, adding another 'ring' of quarter-circle offices to the NW and SE. STC needs a few more office towers, a hotel, a theatre, a library (building a library at STC would be a better use of $10 million or so dollars than almost anything else in the city). There's absolutely no streetlife, but it wouldn't be necessary if they kept adding bridges and tunnels and layers and created a real 'futuristic' neighbourhood. This isn't happening, so most of STC should be razed and rebuilt.

Of course, in today's Toronto we're only allowed to destroy heritage buildings, so STC will not be repaired. The good thing is there's still room for many dozens of buildings...but the condos are quickly eating up all the best sites! The Metrogate site over at Kennedy is getting a modest office tower...why not have the damn thing built at STC? STC could also handle a couple small 'professional' buildings filled with stuff like dentists since the local population is set to rise so much (eight to ten thousand or more residential units could be added in the next 15-20 years).

And is the Loblaws Superstore finally open yet? Site prep started in 2005, for god's sake!

STC needs a few more office towers, a hotel, a theatre, a library (building a library at STC would be a better use of $10 million or so dollars than almost anything else in the city). There's absolutely no streetlife, but it wouldn't be necessary if they kept adding bridges and tunnels and layers and created a real 'futuristic' neighbourhood. This isn't happening, so most of STC should be razed and rebuilt.

I always thought there should be more office towers at STC. As a kid growing up in Scarborough I wished there was a downtown that rivaled Downtown Toronto. In my earliest memories there were only the 3 Consillium office buildings and then the first Tridel condo on the north side of Consillium (I know there are people on this forum who remember STC as farms). Before I knew anything about zoning, OPs, secondary plans, the development industry, etc, I always wondered why the office towers in Scarborough were separated. There were the STC office towers, the office building at Kennedy and 401 (formerly had Mazda as main tenant), and the Markham Rd. and 401 office buildings (two 11ish storey buildings that once had green vertical lights up the side and the larger black, po-mo, Yellow Pages building). I felt that all of these buildings should be grouped together, and there was the land to put them on (and still is). I actually thought that the Yellow Pages building should have been picked up, placed on a dozen flat-bed tractor trailers, moved along the 401, and relocated beside the Consillium office buildings, just for the sole reason of creating a larger Scarborough skyline. I guess I had quite the imagination when I was 10 (hell, I still think that would be cool to watch)

I actually thought that the Yellow Pages building should have been picked up, placed on a dozen flat-bed tractor trailers, moved along the 401, and relocated beside the Consillium office buildings, just for the sole reason of creating a larger Scarborough skyline. I guess I had quite the imagination when I was 10 (hell, I still think that would be cool to watch)

Let your buildings do the walking?

Mmmm...could be

I actually thought that the Yellow Pages building should have been picked up, placed on a dozen flat-bed tractor trailers, moved along the 401, and relocated beside the Consillium office buildings, just for the sole reason of creating a larger Scarborough skyline. I guess I had quite the imagination when I was 10 (hell, I still think that would be cool to watch)

Considering how the Yellow Pages Building looks so similar to the old Transamerica building at Consilium Place, I don't think it's the best idea. I wouldn't like to see two Scarborough high-rise landmarks competing with each other at so close a distance.

This site was marketed as 'Townscape Condominiums' in the late 80s and had actually gone fairly far in sales untill the market bottomed out. It's odd that it has taken this long for it to come back from the dead. Maybe we're due for another crash.

I remember the renderings on the site. They left the billboards up a long time after they stopped sales, kind of like at the Sapphire site.

I must say the 'Townscapes' proposal doesn't look all that bad ... almost seems like a less refined version of NY towers :)

I've put together something that illustrates the concentration of buildings coming up in STC (south) ... think I would hate myself for living in north towr of Centro facing west or RED facing east ... personally I think the Monarch 3 towers were way too tight for the site ... somebody was being greedy :rolleyes:

The Centro pit yesterday...

DSCN3542.jpg

Thanks Casaguy for the pic.

I drove by on Sunday afternoon and noticed two people taking pictures of this. I wonder if this was you.

Back