Toronto Casa III Condos | 179.52m | 55s | Cresford | a—A

Thank God for that ....

Developers are taking advantage of the Boom for repetitive boring Glass Boxes in our city. Sadly, lots of people blindly like them. Ridiculous !!!

Why are those who appreciate a finely crafted box 'blind?' There are shades of course, but you've tarred everything with the same brush which ironically is just as myopic as what you are condemning.

64charles was bought by cresford. I think it's the old houses next door to Casa 3, on Charles. Is it just for the sales centre or something maybe if not a condo tower?

I figured it could be for a sales centre, perhaps a staging area of sorts and/or a management office.

This was tweeted on the 27th of March by Urbanation - "Cresford Developments buys 62-64 Charles St E for $11.75 million. Heritage Victorians on-site beside Post Office site, Casa III assembly?"

I figured it could be for a sales centre, perhaps a staging area of sorts and/or a management office.

This was tweeted on the 27th of March by Urbanation - "Cresford Developments buys 62-64 Charles St E for $11.75 million. Heritage Victorians on-site beside Post Office site, Casa III assembly?"

Yes, 62-64 Charles St E is part of the land assembly for Casa III and not another condo.

Why would they? The post office plot seems large enough. I don't think it would make a very good sales centre.

TSulhYX.jpg

Perhaps it's for an amazing public park space? Something like the new Four Seasons rose garden would be awesome here in conjunction with the redevelopment and beautification of Charles St E. Unlikely for $11.75M...but maybe people are correct that it was purchased for phase 4...my contacts say its part of Phase 3 though...so who knows lol :confused:

Density transfer perhaps? I couldn't see them spending that money on a garden, let alone being allowed to tear down a heritage structure for one.

This property combined with the parking lot to the north surrounding 16 Hayden would give more than enough room for another tower however:

hxY47U6.jpg

Edit: Just saw this post on the previous page. I wonder if they would consider selling it? I presume they own it for potential future expansion

^ The land behind that site is owned by The Salvation Army Grace Hospital at Bloor & Church.

Last edited:
Rezoning application submitted 5 July 2013 according to city site.

http://app.toronto.ca/DevelopmentAp...icationsList.do?action=init&folderRsn=3389244

Proposed mixed use development contains a 60 storey residential tower, plus mechanical penthouse, with its lobby fronting onto Charles street east and an 8 storey office component with its lobby fronting onto Hyden Street. A total gross floor area f 51, 858 square metres, containing 42, 639 square metres of residential gross floor area and 9, 219 square metres of non-residnetial gross floor area. There are a total of 658 residential units and 219 underground parking spots.

under view all properties it says:
50-60 CHARLES ST E
62 CHARLES ST E
64 CHARLES ST E
47 HAYDEN ST
61 HAYDEN ST

no such thing as density transfers in Toronto, that is largely only done in New York.

There have been a number of density transfers in Toronto in the fairly recent past. I am not aware of any in the most recent couple of years - it seems that developers now just submit and bargain with the City for the density they want, rather than go through the exercise of arranging a swap or purchase of density rights from another site. One of the more recent swaps was from the Loblaws building on Lakeshore, where the residential density for the site was acquired by Concord Adex for the Panorama building. Now of course, plans for the Loblaws site include a large amount of new residential density. Basically, I think the reason we are not seeing the kinds of density swaps that took place in the 1980's and 1990's is that the City and the OMB have debased the impact of density right limitations, and the corresponding value of density swaps.

If they own 62, 64 Charles Street and 61 Hayden, there has to be another tower planned.

Here's a screenshot of the property boundaries from the city's website:

YaWO9oG.png

Not quite as large as I had above, but still probably big enough.

Rezoning application submitted 5 July 2013 according to city site.

http://app.toronto.ca/DevelopmentAp...icationsList.do?action=init&folderRsn=3389244

Proposed mixed use development contains a 60 storey residential tower, plus mechanical penthouse, with its lobby fronting onto Charles street east and an 8 storey office component with its lobby fronting onto Hyden Street. A total gross floor area f 51, 858 square metres, containing 42, 639 square metres of residential gross floor area and 9, 219 square metres of non-residnetial gross floor area. There are a total of 658 residential units and 219 underground parking spots.

under view all properties it says:
50-60 CHARLES ST E
62 CHARLES ST E
64 CHARLES ST E
47 HAYDEN ST
61 HAYDEN ST

Thanks for the updated info! So the building height is increasing (well proposed) and the neighbouring properties are for the office building??? Or is the office space located under the tower at the back for the first 8 floors...I'm confused lol :p

Last edited:
The new property acquisition could have to do with tower separation and setback requirements, I mean guidelines, did I say requirements?, laid out in the Tall Building Requirements, I mean Tall Building Guidelines, did I say Tall Building Requirements?

BTW, if all of the properties are amalgamated into one, the density is also amalgamated across the site naturally.

Back