Toronto Casa II Condos | 184.09m | 56s | Cresford | a—A

A Briono will be 100% hand stitched and canvassed for $4000

A BOSS will be machine made and fused for $1000

90% of people will not be able to tell the difference though. BOSS suits are more "entry level", but cut and fabric can be quite nice, so people will look good in one. If you know what you are doing, you could get a better quality suit for $1000, but Hugo Boss does a lot of high profile marketing to secure their image in the market. One advantage with BOSS though, would be that if you wore the pants out, you would be able to buy a replacement pair that would match exactly.

So it's quite possible this building is a BOSS suit. he he

I'll take this Boss suit building over something like the Moore's rental suit condo at Yonge and Gerrard anyday.

Charles is becoming interesting:

East of Yonge will have 6(?) massive elegant towers 40-60 floors (mostly Aa); squalor, chaos, and mayhem Yonge to Bay; eclectic mix of small high-end residential and institional Bay to University.

Can anyone complete this list for Charles East?

X1
X2
Casa
42 Charles
Chaz
Uptown

Uptown is on Balmuto (north of Charles St. W). The only other hirise on Charles St. E is Bloor Street Neighbourhood, but that's a bit under the 40 storey minimum you noted.

...squalor, chaos, and mayhem Yonge to Bay...

I know I'm singling you out, but you are merely the most recent of many to express the above attitude, which I find to be totally ridiculous. Is every stretch of downtown that is more than five years old literally a slum or favella?

And the implied sentiment - that this "squalor, chaos, and mayhem" needs to be (and can only be) tamed by new condos - borders on the extreme.

I honestly do not understand the view that characterizes such stretches of downtown as a problem while totally ignoring their use (which in this case is largely housing for students with families), and jumps to the conclusion that a bunch of brand new condos is the "fix".

Charles East is done, everything else hopefully stays - I don't know what all this squalor, chaos & mayhem is all about. The hydro building needs a scrubbing and improved landscaping and the street needs wider sidewalks but other than that, it'll be a fine street in a few short years.

Charles East is done, everything else hopefully stays - I don't know what all this squalor, chaos & mayhem is all about. The hydro building needs a scrubbing and improved landscaping and the street needs wider sidewalks but other than that, it'll be a fine street in a few short years.

agreed on all counts.

And the implied sentiment - that this "squalor, chaos, and mayhem" needs to be (and can only be) tamed by new condos - borders on the extreme.

I honestly do not understand the view that characterizes such stretches of downtown as a problem

Who said it's a problem? I actually like it - but from a planning perspective its utter choas & mayhem (I will omit squalor despite having seen some of the units you refer too). But come on -

• A 2-way street becomes 1 way at Balmuto, so look over your shoulder
  • At least 3 building garage empty out unnattractively
  • The sidewalks just West of Yonge (North & South) are narrow and blank
  • The 9/11 lead hijacker worked at the copy shop, and i can still feel his presence
  • Huge dumpsters seem stationed at Balmuto
  • Retail frontage is shoddy everywhere except for about 4 butchered Victorians
Its lively - I'll give it that - in a choatic, squalid way. But i never said I didn't like it :)

Charles St. W. between Yonge & Bay sure has it's problems, the biggest one being that mess of retail attached to (and including) the Charles Street Promenade. The highfalutin Manulife Centre exterior property is very well maintained, but it's really in dated, and not in a good way. Across from there a messy run-down strip mall (where Rabba is) with a couple of decent shops. West of Bay will be great, and Charles east will be pretty good too. Including what buildup notes, this stretch needs some attention, but bad.

okay... this is 100x better than i thought. most of it is just because they didn't go with the hat... the spiky hair looks interesting and almost Uptownesque but amplified.

this one is gonna look boring directly on it's sides though, just like casa.

Charles E is not done. There's a proposal coming to the NE corner of Church and Charles, taking out the entire block to Hayden. It will be tall.

Are we talking about this plot of land? I know you posted information regarding 625 Church Street in another thread.

NE-CHARLES-CHURCH.jpg

Yes. 60s here perhaps? :)

And I believe the SE corner of Hayden & Church has a proposal coming--I read about it somewhere.

Also, with Canada Post selling off so many properties I expect them to sell their Charles/Hayden site to a developer within a few years.

Then there's those nice old apartment buildings...surely their owners will want to make the big bucks selling to a developer?

Last edited:
Who said it's a problem? I actually like it - but from a planning perspective its utter choas & mayhem (I will omit squalor despite having seen some of the units you refer too). But come on -

• A 2-way street becomes 1 way at Balmuto, so look over your shoulder
  • At least 3 building garage empty out unnattractively
  • The sidewalks just West of Yonge (North & South) are narrow and blank
  • The 9/11 lead hijacker worked at the copy shop, and i can still feel his presence
  • Huge dumpsters seem stationed at Balmuto
  • Retail frontage is shoddy everywhere except for about 4 butchered Victorians
Its lively - I'll give it that - in a choatic, squalid way. But i never said I didn't like it :)

My apologies then for reading too much into your post. I'd agree that from an urban design perspective, there are a lot of examples of ideas that are no longer de jour (e.g. superblocks, servicing and parking fronting streets rather than laneways, poorly defined retail frontages, etc.). That being said, I think many if not most of these can be corrected or prettied up with minor reinvestment.

In sum, what I would caution against is the idea (and I know that this is not necessarily what you were expressing) that wholesale change is superior to or a panacea for messy urbanism. And this does not stem from a belief that new development cannot replicate the urbanism of old, but that to create lively urban space - chaotic or otherwise - requires both careful ground level design considerations and a long period of time.

Yes. 60s here perhaps? :)

And I believe the SE corner of Hayden & Church has a proposal coming--I read about it somewhere.

Also, with Canada Post selling off so many properties I expect them to sell their Charles/Hayden site to a developer within a few years.

Then there's those nice old apartment buildings...surely their owners will want to make the big bucks selling to a developer?

Canada Post can go, cheers, but not any of those old 2 or 3 storey walk-ups, save for perhaps the one that runs along Church from Isabella to Gloucester.

Charles E is not done. There's a proposal coming to the NE corner of Church and Charles, taking out the entire block to Hayden. It will be tall.

yes - sorry left this one out intentionally. still early and nothing released yet in terms of the site (that is currently being marketed) nevermind the municipal process. but correct in that eventually something will happen here - and likely sooner rather than later.

Back