Toronto Casa | 147.52m | 46s | Cresford | a—A

I didn't mean the apartment blocks; I was making reference to the "commie block" styling of them.
Yeah, but it could be worse. Imagine if it was Stalinist "commie block" styling rather than Khrushchev/Brezhnev...

That's a lot of buildings by the same firm. I wonder if there are any historical precidents approaching such.

But of course, AoD! How could your forget the Uno Prii District?

100%20spadina%20road.jpg

245712.jpg

44Walmer.jpg

164722.jpg

171910.jpg

BUILD19302.jpg

183346.jpg

Were the older folks students who never left?

I lived in a building like that once.

Mrs. Prii, at 82, is in fine form. The book that includes an interview with Uno will be published by Coach House Press, later this year:

CONCRETE TORONTO: A GUIDE TO CONCRETE ARCHITECTURE FROM THE FIFTIES TO THE SEVENTIES
Edited by Michael McClelland and Graeme Stewart
Price: $29.95
300 pages
Paperback

The RCYC club house offers a unique view of the city. The evening was cool and damp and the four of us ( a widow, a journalist, an architect, and a designer ) ate inside, but on my previous visit I sat outside on the wide ground floor verandah - and I can't think of a more spectacular place to dine and "city-watch" than that. There is a second floor verandah too. And a second floor banquet room with high oval recessed windows and old murals on two walls showing scenes of the harbour. There has been some discussion amongst members of the Club about the future of the place: some want to build a new structure while others want to renovate a grand old building which one senses is in need of a little help.

Tuesday is race night but we left before the sailors returned. At eight o'clock the Union Jack was lowered, the cannon was fired, the RCYC launch arrived, and we departed.

Maybe the yacht club will hire Gehry to do a new clubhouse? Y'know, one of them Greatest Hits swoopy/curvy things just about everyone assumed we were going to get at the AGO.

Most of us live on the mainland, so we'd all get a nice view of the damn thing.

I'd rather look across Toronto Harbour to a Gehry I would be welcomed into, as opposed to one where the security guards would be like "you there, put your hands up where we can see them" and I'd be like "you'll never take me alive, coppers!" and then they'd be all "drop that laptop sir, last warning" and I'd be furiously typing and clicking 'til this thread was moderated back onto topic.

What club wouldn't want you as a member? You'd be welcomed with open arms, greeted with a "hello sailor" and a saucy ;) as soon as you stepped ashore. They might even let you lower the Union Jack and fire off the little cannon at eight o'clock.

I didn't see any security guards, though we did have to hand in little slips of paper with our names on as we boarded the launch. The club has a large property over there with tennis courts, a bowling green, swimming pool and moorings for boats and a dry dock for the winter and goodness knows what else.

Their city clubhouse is on St.George just north of Bloor. Which, when you think of it, is quite close to that fascinating new condo called Casa that everyone is talking about these days, the condo designed by Peter Clewes of aA on Bloor Street.

Casa Condominium Progress Sept 2, 2007

Diggin' deeper...

What's up with the rather precise "step effect" they've created?

92casa1.jpg

92casa1a.jpg

92casa2.jpg

92casa3.jpg

92casa4.jpg

92casa5.jpg

92casa6.jpg

92casa7.jpg

92casa8.jpg

92casa9.jpg

92casa10.jpg

Back