Toronto Canoe Landing Park | ?m | ?s | Concord Adex

I noticed the offramp from WB Gardiner at Yonge now comes to a T-stop as opposed to before where cars had to stop on a curve, like shown here. This makes it a lot easier for drivers to see pedestrians whereas before you had to turn your head more than your neck would allow.

I noticed that too. It makes crossing SO much easier.

3732703755_c99afd5889_b.jpg

3732706845_0c9afacaed_b.jpg

I noticed the offramp from WB Gardiner at Yonge now comes to a T-stop as opposed to before where cars had to stop on a curve, like shown here. This makes it a lot easier for drivers to see pedestrians whereas before you had to turn your head more than your neck would allow.

This was part of the 2008 Yonge Street improvement project which is winding up this weekend - they are repaving Yonge from Queen's Quay to Front. Then I assume the cycle paths will be painted onto road surface, QQ to The Esplanade.

I understand the City is trying to convert other 'slip-stream' exits into more standard right-angle ones to improve pedestrian (and cyclist) safety. Next may be the WB Gardiner exit at Sherbourne as Lower Sherbourne will be redone in 2010.

Even before this, the Dundas/Royal York interchange was subject to such right-angleization in a couple of spots...

Once they finish the park, I really think they should name it Douglas Coupland Park. It makes sense, and has a nice ring to it. Better than Spadina Park or Terry Fox Park anyway.

July 20th Update

I couldn't figure out how to sneak in here to get some pics, but I got one (barely).
From Bathurst Street

Click on the thumbnail to enlarge, then click again on the image for full size.

Once they finish the park, I really think they should name it Douglas Coupland Park. It makes sense, and has a nice ring to it. Better than Spadina Park or Terry Fox Park anyway.

I've heard credible rumours that it may be called "The Canada Commons".

Sklar

I hope they leave it at Cityplace Park. It's in the middle of Cityplace and built by Cityplace developers for Cityplace folks. It just makes sense.

I hope they leave it at Cityplace Park. It's in the middle of Cityplace and built by Cityplace developers for Cityplace folks. It just makes sense.

You can rest assured that whatever they name it, people will continue to refer to it as 'CityPlace Park'

Though the park - no matter what its name is - will probably be used mainly by City Place residents it was not 'built ... for Cityplace folks". The developer had to build it because the City issued permits etc based on the park as a 'public benefit' and it is for everyone. No doubt when it's handed over to the City it will be city staff who maintain it - if they are back at work by then.

It is not for "cityplace folk" but rather for Toronto. The park, although shadowed by the gardiner, will actually be part of a larger waterfront/fort york parks network that includes HTO, Fort York, Music Gardens, etc etc. I'm happy with Canada Commons, CityPlace Park, Coupland Park, or the often overlooked Hypnotoad Park.

Also, great shots DT. Thanks!

The park design seems to be undergoing so many changes. From the original design, it's changed from the model at city place. And changed again to the current design. I think the model at city place looks better than it's current state. I guess it's cheapening? Budget issues?

i'm not sure the park is suffering from cheapening.

first of all, the renderings were never very detailed, especially those watercolour ones. and we all know very well that renderings are generally "artistic interpretations."

it seemed, at least i thought, that the park was always going to have a lot of concrete and cement, as opposed to stone, brick or wood. and i never really expected the art installations to be of a high quality material like wood or bronze. that doesn't seem to be coupland's style anyway (remember the plastic soldier statue?). nevertheless, i'm sure they will remain attractions.

let's also remember that the park will look much better after all the trees, grass and flowers grow in; this will take a few years.

overall, i'm very excited for this (hilarious) park.

Back