Toronto Canoe Landing Park | ?m | ?s | Concord Adex

There was no gate today and it looked pretty open. I'm not sure what I think of it, overall it looks good but the smaller details could've been executed better. The blank expanses of concrete paths really make it feel vacant, you don't want to be there for too long. I didn't wander into the centre however, and it looks like it'll feel a lot more welcoming as the trees and vegetation mature. If they'd done a better job with the finishings (some granite accents, more seating etc.) it'd really go a long way towards making it more visually pleasing.

I think some water features really would have made sense here with it being where the old lake front was. Maybe even a pond? I think it would have helped to soften it up a bit. It has a very desolate feel to it. That's without having actually visited it, but I plan on soon.

I think some water features really would have made sense here with it being where the old lake front was. Maybe even a pond? I think it would have helped to soften it up a bit. It has a very desolate feel to it. That's without having actually visited it, but I plan on soon.

It has a few water features ... they're not on yet though.

There is a really dull waterfall (beaver dam) and water jets/splash pad. They had them on back at preview day.

This park has been open now for about 2 weeks. I've been there 3 times since then and from what I've seen, the main purpose of this park is a cruising grounds for dog walkers.

The first time I was there was 7pm on a sunny Friday and I saw 25 people in the park. Of the twenty five, 23 people were walking their dogs and most were in a group in the middle of the grass. (the real grass) Everyone was between 20 and 40 years old and some for them were dressed rather provocatively, for just walking a dog. One big-breasted girl was wearing what appeared to be a bikini top and short, shorts. One of the muscle boys had his shirt off and was doing push-ups, while his dog ran around.(show-off lol) Everybody seemed to be quite social and I saw a lot of flirtation going on. Maybe they should just call this "Hook-up Park". The only other people in the park besides myself, was a 30ish couple sitting on a bench for a few minutes.

My next trip to the park I encountered 6 people, all waking their dogs. The last time I was there on Sunday afternoon, I saw about 8 people, all walking dogs, one of which was a 50ish Asian guy. Besides him, I only saw the 20 - 40 year old crown. I didn't see one single child in that park in that 2 week period. But I'll tell you what I did see the last time I was there, dog shit. It seems the dog walkers are not cleaning up after their pets. I saw more dog shit, mainly on the sidewalk, in one walk through Canoe Landing Park, then I did in my 2 hour walk through downtown Toronto. (Chinatown, Kensington Market, Bloor, Yorkville, Yonge Street, The Gay Village and St. Lawrence)

It's sad seeing this park used mainly as a place for genXers to take their pouches for a crap.

And that beaver dam fountain, was quite underwhelming. Over- all, this park is just one dull, lifeless place. (so far)

Last edited:
I went there for the first time last night and I was quite impressed, there were lots of people walking around with or without dogs and there were even people taking photos by the beaver damn, all in all I thought it was a great space

This park has been open now for about 2 weeks. I've been there 3 times since then and from what I've seen, the main purpose of this park is a cruising grounds for dog walkers.

The first time I was there was 7pm on a sunny Friday and I saw 25 people in the park. Of the twenty five, 23 people were walking their dogs and most were in a group in the middle of the grass. (the real grass) Everyone was between 20 and 40 years old and some for them were dressed rather provocatively, for just walking a dog. One big-breasted girl was wearing what appeared to be a bikini top and short, shorts. One of the muscle boys had his shirt off and was doing push-ups, while his dog ran around.(show-off lol) Everybody seemed to be quite social and I saw a lot of flirtation going on. Maybe they should just call this "Hook-up Park". The only other people in the park besides myself, was a 30ish couple sitting on a bench for a few minutes.

My next trip to the park I encountered 6 people, all waking their dogs. The last time I was there on Sunday afternoon, I saw about 8 people, all walking dogs, one of which was a 50ish Asian guy. Besides him, I only saw the 20 - 40 year old crown. I didn't see one single child in that park in that 2 week period. But I'll tell you what I did see the last time I was there, dog shit. It seems the dog walkers are not cleaning up after their pets. I saw more dog shit, mainly on the sidewalk, in one walk through Canoe Landing Park, then I did in my 2 hour walk through downtown Toronto. (Chinatown, Kensington Market, Bloor, Yorkville, Yonge Street, The Gay Village and St. Lawrence)

It's sad seeing this park used mainly as a place for genXers to take their pouches for a crap.

And that beaver dam fountain, was quite underwhelming. Over- all, this park is just one dull, lifeless place. (so far)

Thats too bad about the dog shit, although that is like every park in a lot of cities...check out Paris, the French are known for leaving their shit lying around in parks, sidewalks, in front of you while you have a cappuccino ..(dog i mean, not human)

we spent a couple of hours there last weekend sunning on top of the canoe (great spot to stretch out). I've been there 3 times in the past few weeks, and I don't think Torontovibe observations are very accurate. The park visitors are younger on average, but there are plenty of people without dogs. The athletic turf was being used by several people playing with soccer balls, frisbee, or just reading a book. The gravel paths that wind behind the Canoe hill are very nice. I would like to see a few benches or grassy places to sit along the western side of that hill. It is currently just bushes.

I do wish the splash pad fountains were higher quality (they don't match the quality of the ones at YongeDundas Sq). The colorful D. Coupland designed "tops" are already showing some rust marks (would have been nice if they spin, or made different notes with the steady wind, or even sounded like drums if you knocked on them, but oh well). I also think some of the Terry Fox stuff is over the top (giant photos of a worn sock, giant photos of unhealthy diner food that he ate). Having said all this, the park can be a fun place, the Gardiner isn't a serious negative (it actually provides some visual interest; I waved at the traffic backed up there).

I also think some of the Terry Fox stuff is over the top (giant photos of a worn sock, giant photos of unhealthy diner food that he ate).

LOL!!! That's freakin' hilarious, a dirty sock? Good grief, where's the sweaty jock or the bunyan bandages?

finally got to check out the park in person this past Thursday... (I was obsessed with the fishing bobbers)

4629726856_66b6317b36_o.jpg

4629126399_e5f4df9eda_o.jpg

4629727280_89f1c69be7_o.jpg

4629727464_65bdbf02b2_o.jpg

4629126889_0ab542b839_o.jpg

4629727858_c737b6dd1f_o.jpg

4628720595_0693f61efc_o.jpg

Stunning bunch of photos Redroom - #4 = Toronto's best new postcard view!

Back