Toronto Canary Commons | 42.06m | 12s | DundeeKilmer | a—A

This place is going to make a killing. everyone you talk to in this area wants a grocery store
Especially given the closest right now is a Nofrills (which doesn’t appeal to everyone) and then St Lawrence Market. This will be the closest grocery store for a ton of people.

There is really no good grocery option for people living in the Canary district, so they're probably used to driving, and I'm not sure this is the store that will get them out of their cars to shop locally.

I don't get how they planned and developed a neighbourhood like this one without a grocery store in place from the beginning. It's a basic urban amenity that makes an area attractive. Grocers want locations in well populated areas too, especially if there aren't many competing stores around.

With the interior construction already progressing now, I really hope that they are moving in lol and no other issues come up along the way. Spring/summer opening would not be bad!

However, I noticed that Copper branch opposite closed (sad) and so did the gears shop in the convenience store building. With more people coming in, I wonder if 2 businesses closing is a good sign at all.

Last edited:
Gears is a bike store. Shop Task was the skate store.
My bad, yes I realized they’re gone along with copper branch. On the positive note, I see this on Marche Leo’s website and if I look at the archived page from September last year, it wasn’t there! Someone also put it on google maps
E3DE84E4-CCF2-4D7C-8894-C898C1C9C1BD.png

With the interior construction already progressing now, I really hope that they are moving in lol and no other issues come up along the way. Spring/summer opening would not be bad!

However, I noticed that Copper branch opposite closed (sad) and so did the gears shop in the convenience store building. With more people coming in, I wonder if 2 businesses closing is a good sign at all.
Going to go out and say for Shop Task and Copper Branch, their issues were probably:

- Copper Branch was not very good in general, had weird opening hours. I tried to like them multiple times and just never got anything I really “liked”.

- Shop Task was specifically a rollerblade shop. It may have really just been too Niche.

I think a lot of different retail concepts can be successful even with the neighbourhoods current population (and near term completions of Canary Landing and Canary House). But they just need to figure out what’s missing. A grocery store will be super popular here I think.

Going to go out and say for Shop Task and Copper Branch, their issues were probably:

- Copper Branch was not very good in general, had weird opening hours. I tried to like them multiple times and just never got anything I really “liked”.

- Shop Task was specifically a rollerblade shop. It may have really just been too Niche.

I think a lot of different retail concepts can be successful even with the neighbourhoods current population (and near term completions of Canary Landing and Canary House). But they just need to figure out what’s missing. A grocery store will be super popular here I think.
Really? I love copper branch!!! Their General Tao bowl is so good! Plus we need more plant based eateries in the city. As the Oxford study suggests the single biggest way we can reduce our environmental footprint in our personal life is by adopting a plant based diet. So definitely sad seeing this branch go.

Really? I love copper branch!!! Their General Tao bowl is so good! Plus we need more plant based eateries in the city. As the Oxford study suggests the single biggest way we can reduce our environmental footprint in our personal life is by adopting a plant based diet. So definitely sad seeing this branch go.
I was sad to see Cooper Branch go too. They had one dish I truly loved. Still, their hours were so damn weird, I wasn't surprised in the end.

Agreed with the above. I also loved Copper Branch, and they are expanding like crazy throughout the 905 - so definitely doing well overall. The hours at this one were terrible though.

Agree with all the above; I loved their aztec and other bowls. But it was ALWAYS closed whenever I wanted to get something

Back