Toronto Canary Commons | 42.06m | 12s | DundeeKilmer | a—A

I love this building and I don't care who knows.

cc-005.jpg

cc-006.jpg

cc-004.jpg

Can’t they have both?
I feel like if this was a super large chain, maybe? Don’t know if these guys play in that realm though. That being said, I pulled up the numbers to understand how three grocery stores near Queens Quay & Jarvis would be supported. From Parliament to Yonge - Queens Quay will have 17,761 condo units. And that’s without definitive plans for the silo grounds, lands unlocked by Gardiner or the port lands.

For comparison, Canary, Distillery District and the low rise being built at Front & Trinity total 8,347 units. Sooo maybe they can haz a wee grocer?

Chatting about this with someone else recently, they suggested that maybe the folks managing Canary retail are a bit of a problem. There’s been a fair bit of churn in those storefronts over the years. Some promised retailers never came through. Anyone know if it’s all managed by one group?

I feel like if this was a super large chain, maybe? Don’t know if these guys play in that realm though. That being said, I pulled up the numbers to understand how three grocery stores near Queens Quay & Jarvis would be supported. From Parliament to Yonge - Queens Quay will have 17,761 condo units. And that’s without definitive plans for the silo grounds, lands unlocked by Gardiner or the port lands.

For comparison, Canary, Distillery District and the low rise being built at Front & Trinity total 8,347 units. Sooo maybe they can haz a wee grocer?

Chatting about this with someone else recently, they suggested that maybe the folks managing Canary retail are a bit of a problem. There’s been a fair bit of churn in those storefronts over the years. Some promised retailers never came through. Anyone know if it’s all managed by one group?
Don't forget... Corktown neighborhood has no grocery store either

It's all owned by the developer yes. It's always going to be tough opening retail in a neighborhood under construction. Add in a pandemic and it's a recipe for disaster but things will inevitably improve as the neighborhood gets finished. The WDL rental buildings will bring an influx of new residents to the hood this summer and the condo at block 10 will probably occupy in the next 1.5 years or so.

I'd love to know what lease agreement lets you back out after you've already started fit up! Unless they paid a very significant break fee, I can't see the landlord having any interest in allowing it.
Agreed. I think it’s still a go, or they would’ve removed it from the website.

It seems like the initial work was done without a permit (as I don’t see one posted anywhere on site). It’s likely stalled because of that.

It seems like the initial work was done without a permit (as I don’t see one posted anywhere on site). It’s likely stalled because of that.
oh good point. yes no signage in the windows whatsoever. but if thats the case, i get their frustration. the permits have (or are still) taken forever for this fit-out

regarding residents in a neighbourhood under construction, im certain that given the desert of available options in this area and beyond (corktown and some of riverside) that if they did a good enough job with a grorcer in canary, it would attract people from well beyond the immediate vicinity. and of course incentivize more people to live in future buildings to come.

Looks like you're right! I checked the City's website and it now shows this:

Capture.PNG

Issuance of the permit is now "pending" and the last zoning review was closed on March 1, 2023.

Seems like our grocery store may be safe after all. <3

Looks like you're right! I checked the City's website and it now shows this:

View attachment 459636
Issuance of the permit is now "pending" and the last zoning review was closed on March 1, 2023.

Seems like our grocery store may be safe after all. <3
does the examination process indicate that the permit application has been under review since april 2022? almost one year for a retail fit-out? BANANAS...

does the examination process indicate that the permit application has been under review since april 2022? almost one year for a retail fit-out? BANANAS...
Yes, but I know that for a long time the City's site said "Examiner's Notice Sent", which generally means that the application is missing information or some step is required by the applicant.

Back