Toronto CAMH Discovery Centre | 41.6m | 7s | CAMH | KPMB

wow those buildings look really great! When do the market units go on sale ? I'm curious if they'll actually sell :)

wow those buildings look really great! When do the market units go on sale ? I'm curious if they'll actually sell :)

Where do you get the info. that there are condos here, I thought that they were rentals for CAMH Outpatients

Where do you get the info. that there are condos here, I thought that they were rentals for CAMH Outpatients

I thought some of the projects fronting Queen are condos. Sorry I should say will be.

It is odd that they're building such a large above groung garage when everyone else is building them below ground. Anyone know why?

I thought some of the projects fronting Queen are condos. Sorry I should say will be.

Could be, but I've just never read that anywhere.

It costs far more to dig down than to build up.

This is something that I've heard before. Why is this the case? Isn't digging down a fairly straightforward process involving some piledrivers, backhoes, etc.? Wouldn't the technical design required to build an underground parking garage capable of holding up a building, and the actual execution of that design, be a far more complicated and labour intensive process?

You still have to hold up a parking structure if it's built underground. You also have to smash up, dig out, transport, and pay to dump the earth and rock that you move for an underground garage. The deeper you go, the more expensive it gets too. With an above ground garage, you just move a little air out of the way, at no cost.

This is something that I've heard before. Why is this the case? Isn't digging down a fairly straightforward process involving some piledrivers, backhoes, etc.? Wouldn't the technical design required to build an underground parking garage capable of holding up a building, and the actual execution of that design, be a far more complicated and labour intensive process?

I've been involved in projects where excavation has been reduced to hit the budget (planning stages), so my experience is consistent with the "cost more to go down" theory. The soil conditions were bad, so I would imagine the structural guy's costs would go up. That said, CAMH is a P3 DBFM which is structured as a competition between pre-selected teams. The scoring is based on price and design, but price seems to be a pretty major aspect in winning the project. When the contract values are hundreds of millions (or even billions in some cases) the team wants to win...which pretty much means giving the client (IO) what they ask for in the most cost effective way and nothing more.

http://www1.infrastructureontario.ca/en/projects/health/CAMH/profile.asp

July 9 2011 update

IMG_1160.jpg
IMG_1161.jpg

Buildings are flying up like mushrooms here. I only got a few shots of the buildings on Queen Street, there are more in behind that I'll get shots of soon (it was starting to rain).

At the east end of the site closer to Shaw St. -

At Ossington -

Nice, looks like a much needed bank is coming to the neighbourhood.

1001 QUEEN ST W
File Number:
A0547/11TEY
Zoning
CR (WAIVER)
Owner:
CENTRE FOR ADDICTION
Ward:
Trinity-Spadina (19)
AND MENTAL HEALTH
Agent:
CARY GREEN
Property Address:
1001 QUEEN ST W
Community:
Legal Description:
PLAN 66M2445 BLKS 1 TO 11 23 AND 41
PURPOSE OF THE APPLICATION:
To modify the redevelopment plan for the eight-storey mixed-use building, under construction as approved under Site Specific By-law 895-2003 (OMB Decision 1602), as amended by By-law 575-2007, by increasing the size of one of the retail store units located on the ground floor (to be occupied by a financial institution).
REQUESTED VARIANCE TO THE ZONING BY-LAW:
Section 2, OMB (Decision No. 1602), amending Site Specific By-law 895-2003
The maximum permitted non-residential gross floor area for a single retail store is 450 m².
The proposed non-residential gross floor area for a single retail store (an anchor financial institution tenant) will be
552 m².

Doesn't say which one huh? We've got a TD not too far (Euclid) and a BMO just opened up at Portland. I'm not sure that still qualifies as "in the neighbourhood". Still, missing are a CIBC and Scotiabank for quite a distance so I'm going to guess it's one of those.

That reminds me, as a former WQW dweller and RBC customer, I'd have to go all the way inside CAMH just to get some cash, made for some interesting interactions back in the day! I'm surprised RBC didn't lease the space to keep their customers in the area happy. There is a TD close by just up at Ossington and Dundas--I thought the billboard said financing by TD.

Back