Toronto CAMH Discovery Centre | 41.6m | 7s | CAMH | KPMB

20 November 2010: Hadn't been on Oz by day in ages, so was taken aback by the height of these buildings--really changing the feel of the 'hood, for the better? Certainly feels more like a city anyhow....

dsc01835ge.jpg

dsc01837u.jpg

dsc01908yh.jpg

Last edited:
Does anyone know when Ossington and Adelaide will be extended? And will they just end at each other? Very good progress on the buildings!

^ It's too bad Ossington couldn't be extended all the way to King. It's doable but we'd have to lose a few buildings in the process. Maybe in 20 years or so...

^ It's too bad Ossington couldn't be extended all the way to King. It's doable but we'd have to lose a few buildings in the process. Maybe in 20 years or so...

I don't think it can be done. First, it would slice through the middle of the CAMH site which is being completely redeveloped as a neighbourhood within itself and if memory serves there are residental neighbourhoods south of the site, north of King Street.

dt, you're missing the point of the redevelopment. Its intention is to slice right through the middle of the CAMH site. Ossington will go all the way to the southmost border of CAMH to an extended Adelaide. Going the rest of the way to King would indeed require expropriation of some properties south of Adelaide -- which is why I suggest it won't happen any time soon but may in the future as the city looks to complete the grid.

dt, you're missing the point of the redevelopment. Its intention is to slice right through the middle of the CAMH site. Ossington will go all the way to the southmost border of CAMH to an extended Adelaide. Going the rest of the way to King would indeed require expropriation of some properties south of Adelaide -- which is why I suggest it won't happen any time soon but may in the future as the city looks to complete the grid.

I knew the site was being redesigned on a grid system but didn't know Ossington was being extended south or hooked into Adelaide St. Interesting, thanks for that.

Why obsess over "completing the grid"? Besides, don't forget that the south wall of old 999 Queen still exists here, and to puncture it for the sake of a further Ossington extension wouldn't go over well with the history buffs...

Why obsess over "completing the grid"? Besides, don't forget that the south wall of old 999 Queen still exists here, and to puncture it for the sake of a further Ossington extension wouldn't go over well with the history buffs...

They already demolished the beautiful building that was here. Who cares about a wall?

They already demolished the beautiful building that was here. Who cares about a wall?

The wall is heritge designated and has an interesting history behind it. What remains helps to marry the past with the present while no longer functioning as a barrier, but as a reminder.

The wall is heritge designated and has an interesting history behind it. What remains helps to marry the past with the present while no longer functioning as a barrier, but as a reminder.

I'd rather have kept the building than the wall.

I'd rather have kept the building than the wall.

Yes, and so would anyone else, given such a crudely rudimentary either-or option (duh). However, the loss of the building doesn't invalidate the case for the wall--indeed, it may even *enhance* the wall's case, as a symbolically important last extant vestige which continues to define the site physically and historically (and not negatively so, except among overcompensating "anti-stigma" psychiatric-profession zealots).

Back