Toronto CAMH Discovery Centre | 41.6m | 7s | CAMH | KPMB

I dunno. It's really not that bad.

If this were in Mississauga people would say it's wonderful because it's low-rise.

25 December 2011--I saw maybe 10 pedestrians in total on my walk from Queen and Spadina to High Park! Kind of nice to have the city to myself! :) I could live here someday I suppose.

135ed.jpg

Thanks for posting those renderings travis I was wondering what this would look like--dull for sure, but better than many private condominium projects built/under construction in Toronto.

I think these buildings are all great! Good quality materials and generally intelligent, sober design. They really oomph the "city" feel of this stretch, but keep it at a comfortable level, and they are a thousand times more inviting and urbane than what existed before (but not necessarily before before). They don't re-invent the wheel, design-wise, but they are meant to be part of a neighbourhood for people with mental health issues, so I'm not sure outside-the-box design is really what's called for here. Let's keep some things inside the box!

It's outside the box thinking too, to integrate patients better into the community and to create a full service mental health community on site yet integrate it with the neighbourhood.

I think the buildings to the east turned out well, I like the brick and glass treatments. Hopefully they shake up the designs as the project progresses.

In the early 1980s, Jack Diamond prepared a plan for renovating John Howard's original Provincial Lunatic Asylum building but, alas, it was turned down ...

I guess the little bit of humour was lost on you. The name of the thread is "CAMH remake," and I know those are apartments. Just tossing a tiny little poke at urbandreamer. I know he can take it, but thanks so much for steering things back to the very obvious points you have covered.

Regards,

gristle

In the early 1980s, Jack Diamond prepared a plan for renovating John Howard's original Provincial Lunatic Asylum building but, alas, it was turned down ...

Wouldn't this have been in the 1970s or even the late 1960s? The grand old building was demolished for the Modernist campus reconstruction in 1976. The new facility was completed in phases in the 1970s. Jack Diamond was quite progressive in the 1970s. That building didn't have to be destroyed.

Yes, thanks for the correction. And on another thread, yesterday, I relocated Arc condo to Yonge and Sheppard from Bayview and Sheppard.

Back