Toronto Burano | ?m | 48s | Lanterra | a—A

Let's hope the heritage restoration here will be as great as Bishop's block is turning out at Shangrila.

from today
20101106069.jpg

20101106073.jpg

20101106074.jpg

slightly dissapointed that they're using the same/similar cladding to Murano... I'd wish they'd distinguish the towers a bit more from eachother to make em seem more unique. Cause now we're gonna have 3 of these towers on all sides of bay street for one strip. they might dominate a bit too much (like a mini td centre)...

I'm happy they are, it'll tie the three buildings together nicely plus the glass is terrific. Why change up a winning formula. I am a little concerned about whether the McLaughlin Motors Building facade will work with the modern glass sculpture above. Time will tell.

I'm happy they are, it'll tie the three buildings together nicely plus the glass is terrific. Why change up a winning formula. I am a little concerned about whether the McLaughlin Motors Building facade will work with the modern glass sculpture above. Time will tell.

i guess thats true, but considering it's burano's got an angular shape (change from murano), and most people won't really know that they're essentially the same complex (aside from the name), i think there was a missed opportunity to try something different... but i'm (always) happy with the height :D

If you want to split such hairs, than one might as well suggest that the twin Sun Life towers at King + University are a "missed opportunity"...

...or pretty much any complex of two or more buildings sharing the same cladding and/or glazing, for that matter.

TD Centre sux! All the buildings look alike! If Mies was such a great architect, why didn't he have imagination!

Considering it was said that it would be a "missed opportunity to try something different" and not simply a "missed opportunity", then yes it would be applied to any complex of towers. Because it is just that, a missed opportunity to try a new material. This isn't an office complex, it doesn't need to be branded the same way. An office complex of similar towers shows how many buildings they own, it's not the same with residential...people don't look at a complex of similar condo towers and say "Wow, they sure do have a lot of money and power!". "All the new glass towers looks the same" doesn't just come from different developments looking similar but places like Success, Maple Leaf Centre, and ICE being duplicates.

TD Centre sux! All the buildings look alike! If Mies was such a great architect, why didn't he have imagination!

That was his style.. If you look up the Seagram Building in NY, IBM Plaza in Chicago, and Westmount Square in Montreal, they are all the same.
His motto was "less is more", and "function over form". That was the entire Bauhaus style of architecture.
T-D Centre was his biggest/tallest project, and his highlight.

^ That was probably one of adma's most sarcastic, tongue-in-cheek posts. TD Centre may have been Mies' biggest/tallest, but I don't know about his "highlight" project. Personally I would give that to the Seagram Building, but others may have a different opinion.

I am also eager to see how the facade of the McLaughlin Motors Building will turn out. It might also be worth comparing it to Bishop's Block in terms of re-use and preservation of the original form and materials of the original structure.

^ That was probably one of adma's most sarcastic, tongue-in-cheek posts. TD Centre may have been Mies' biggest/tallest, but I don't know about his "highlight" project. Personally I would give that to the Seagram Building, but others may have a different opinion.

I am also eager to see how the facade of the McLaughlin Motors Building will turn out. It might also be worth comparing it to Bishop's Block in terms of re-use and preservation of the original form and materials of the original structure.

haha fair enough, slipped right past me.. And good point, the Seagram building was the first of its kind so I guess that would be his highlight..

As for the McLaughlin Motors Building, I can't seem to find a picture of it.. anybody have one?

Back