Toronto Burano | ?m | 48s | Lanterra | a—A

That was his style.. If you look up the Seagram Building in NY, IBM Plaza in Chicago, and Westmount Square in Montreal, they are all the same.
His motto was "less is more", and "function over form". That was the entire Bauhaus style of architecture.
T-D Centre was his biggest/tallest project, and his highlight.

The T-D Centre was one of his highlights to be sure because of its complexity as a larger project. But Burano isn't designed by Mies and doesn't show anywhere near the attention to detail. It's possible that a more distinct variation on the original would make a stronger impact in the long term.

The Mies style architecture works for me.. but not in the way the its applied to the toronto dominion centre... it's like this HUGE BULK on our skyline that we'll have to live with for generations to come. 2 is the max for me, but they had to build for of them.

Is the brick cladding visible from street level yet?... Like from the sidewalk?

The Mies style architecture works for me.. but not in the way the its applied to the toronto dominion centre... it's like this HUGE BULK on our skyline that we'll have to live with for generations to come. 2 is the max for me, but they had to build for of them.

I like the scale of the complex. With the T-D Centre, Mies van der Rohe's aesthetic was taken to the max, demonstrating the conviction in the architectural style and its adaptability to a large and challenging complex. It is among the best examples of the style, with exceptional attention, from functional planning and design evident in the pillarless banking pavilion, to the choice of the finest materials and original signage. It single-handedly launched the movement towards the dense modern skyline of steel and glass that very much impresses us today. I hope that every generation of Torontonian into the future will live with the complex.

Is the brick cladding visible from street level yet?... Like from the sidewalk?

I walked by today on my way home, no it's not. If brick is indeed being laid it's not visible because of the hoarding.

you know... i really hate to say it again, but can't help it... Burano and Shangri-la are twins! haha!

Both incorporate brick into their buildings
Both are situated on a slanted lot
etc...

^Beautiful

Residents of Burano are going to have a commanding view down an ever changing Bay St.

buranon10.jpg

Youre right...funny thing is, they will probably top off around the same time.:)

I'm betting on Burano, Shangri-la has much thicker floors when it gets to the residental levels so there's more cement to pour there.

Back