Toronto Burano | ?m | 48s | Lanterra | a—A

No! Why did they make the mechanical recessed from the envelope of the residential. Completely wrecks the sleekness of the tower. What do you aA apologists have to say now about their supposed pureness and attention to detail. :(

The asymmetrical setback mimics the one on Murano, which I quite like. The northeast corner is not set back, and will rise flush from the roof to the base. It was shown as such in the renders, so it's no surprise.

Murano has a decent mechanical box. It's not too tall to be an ugly distraction from the minimalist sleekness, and it's set back. If Burano's structure has the same characteristics, it'll probably be fine. Still, mechanical elements fully integrated into the structure and defined in the facade, like on many 1960s office towers, are the sleekest option.

Murano handles the mechanical PH well by day, the problem is the lighting. If they'd address that problem the buildings would look terrific by night too. I'm hoping Lanterra learned something there to improve on Burano's top.

A brief peek at the top of the glass for the retail area and the north side coming together

that actually looks better than the renders ^^^ holy cow that glass looks good (i like the dark shade)... is it the same glass as the tower portion? cause this one looks better for some reason,

I nearly managed to get a front page story up with dt's pic even before he posted it, but not quite! You can compare dt's pic with the rendering in the story here!

that actually looks better than the renders ^^^ holy cow that glass looks good (i like the dark shade)... is it the same glass as the tower portion? cause this one looks better for some reason,

The glass panes on the north side are a little clearer than the photo indicates. A combination of lighting and my mediocre iPhone shot didn't capture details all that accurately. The glass on the ground floor of the McLaughlin building south of there appears to be tinted with a bit of brown, so far as I could tell with the hoarding still up.

Walking down Bay St. today I paid a lot of attention to Burano as I got closer and closer towards it and I have to say, it's coming together and starting to look quite nice to my eyes. It really has the look of a "machine for living in" (as do its Murano cousins, to a fair degree, too) which is appealing to me. A big, bad machine, yes, but it's quite dramatic for that.

I can't quite tell, is there going to be retail ?

I can't quite tell, is there going to be retail ?

It was originally proposed to have 1315 sq. m. of retail at grade which may have changed somewhat but there will be retail.

from today
20111203046.jpg

20111203072.jpg

Last edited:

Back