Toronto Burano | ?m | 48s | Lanterra | a—A

They do benefit from having 100-200+ years of development on us, no doubt, but I think you're reinforcing that second best mentality by saying we'll never have the ground level environment of those cities. We're still learning, but with more development and some more inspired thinking, there's no reason we can't keep improving our pedestrian realm and street level in general. Bloor Street, for instance, had its mistakes, and we definitely need to work on coordinating services work, but it's a step in the right direction and hopefully a sign of things to come.

Let's be honest here for a second, over the next 50 years; Do you really think Toronto will match the pedestrian realm in cities like Chicago ? I guess I'm just being realistic :).

Also in terms of the gradness of Chicago, we'll never that beet either, again let's keep timeframes in the 50 years range.

I guess my main point is all of this is OK, it's the way things are.

lol! i'm not going anywhere!.

no one's saying this city isn't liveable, it's just not as "pretty" as other cities people compare us to (Chicago or NYC),

and the CN tower rarely makes it into any films... i'll really emphasize RARELY on this one..

Pretty is deceptive so I've avoided using that word, but I completely agree, and it won't be, for the foreseeable future.

One thing I'll argue you with is the skyline shot though, Chicago doesn't look at that much better when comparing show from the correct angle, these sort of shots don't focus on the delete and Toronto's skyline really does stretch quite far.

But on the street, where it counts .....

lol! i'm not going anywhere!.

no one's saying this city isn't liveable, it's just not as "pretty" as other cities people compare us to (Chicago or NYC),

and the CN tower rarely makes it into any films... i'll really emphasize RARELY on this one..

That's because American filmmakers are told that Americans want American cities as settings. It's just a cultural phenomenon that shouldn't be used as a measure of city quality. Also, even if Toronto isn't the absolute most beautiful city, so what? The next conclusion among many people is unfortunately that Toronto is ugly and deserves no attention. Then it's qualified as "maybe in the future it will be because a lot of progress is being made" so that we can retain a shred of dignity. I say ditch the inferiority complex, know the beauty and sophistication, be proud of it, and promote it, even if the collection isn't the absolute best. Because if you don't, it seems like you have nothing at all and comparable cities who do promote themselves get ahead in international profile. The skyline is a strength.

Let's be honest here for a second, over the next 50 years; Do you really think Toronto will match the pedestrian realm in cities like Chicago ? I guess I'm just being realistic :).

Also in terms of the gradness of Chicago, we'll never that beet either, again let's keep timeframes in the 50 years range

I think that with the right leadership, Toronto will either meet or exceed the best international standards for public spaces and the pedestrian realm. With many projects in the last decades years, it already has. The young city has a lot of talent and still has lot to prove.

One thing I'll argue you with is the skyline shot though, Chicago doesn't look at that much better when comparing show from the correct angle, these sort of shots don't focus on the delete and Toronto's skyline really does stretch quite far.

But on the street, where it counts .....

ya, toronto does have some very nice angles that can rival those of chicago... but what you don't see in photographs is the sheer scale of the skyline (height wise)... their buildings are MASSIVE (especially NY from the queens tunnel going to manhattan. and much more dense,

That's because American filmmakers are told that Americans want American cities as settings. It's just a cultural phenomenon that shouldn't be used as a measure of city quality. Also, even if Toronto isn't the absolute most beautiful city, so what? The next conclusion among many people is unfortunately that Toronto is ugly and deserves no attention. Then it's qualified as "maybe in the future it will be because a lot of progress is being made" so that we can retain a shred of dignity. I say ditch the inferiority complex, know the beauty and sophistication, be proud of it, and promote it, even if the collection isn't the absolute best. Because if you don't, it seems like you have nothing at all and comparable cities who do promote themselves get ahead in international profile. The skyline is a strength.

not true, it's really shifting.. if you look at some of these big action movies lately, they go in cities all over the place... Shanghai, dubai, hong kong, etc...

but i guess toronto is right in the middle... It's NOT an American city, and it's too close to an American city to be considered anything else exotic.

Toronto

I agree , one of the problems T.O has is its population. It is small compared to other cities around the world.

I believe a bigger working population will help drive demand thus more innovation and risk will be emphasized in its product. ( Like the Hearst Tower in NYC)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Hearstowernyc.JPG

I hope T.O will get something like this in the future (maybe in 30 years).

really?

Do you really think Toronto will match the pedestrian realm in cities like Chicago ?

Other than Chicago's waterfront I hardly think it is a city to reference for a pedestrian realm. Have you ever walked the streets of downtown Chicago? Sidewalks are about as wide as Avenue Rd in many places.

Other than Chicago's waterfront I hardly think it is a city to reference for a pedestrian realm. Have you ever walked the streets of downtown Chicago? Sidewalks are about as wide as Avenue Rd in many places.

i agree.. especially around Chicago River/Grant/Millennium park... though they seem kinda dead/quiet a lot of the time (maybe it's just because i've been there mostly on weekends)

Burano at sunset today, topping out.

Skyline with Burano on the right

Last edited:
great pic ^^^ you should post the skyline/larger pic that you posted in the skyline thread showing the Burano impact on the skyline/bay street spine.. it's quite spectacular... this thing is huge.

great pic ^^^ you should post the skyline/larger pic that you posted in the skyline thread showing the Burano impact on the skyline/bay street spine.. it's quite spectacular... this thing is huge.

Click the photo and you get the full size

Here are some Nov 23 shots
6392732103_3490d641fe_b.jpg

6392733005_a9618433dc_b.jpg

6392735371_0e93201a90_b.jpg

6392816983_2fee97f2cf_b.jpg

6392814657_612fac9d5a_b.jpg

6392814075_971455e30c_b.jpg

Lovin the corridor. U condos will close it in even more on the West. Lookin forward to it.

What's so nice about this stretch of road? It's just a wall of mediocre condos with a few fast food outlets? It's a tribute to developer greed and the contempt they have toward this city and the people who live here.

Back