Toronto Broadview Hotel | 28.65m | 7s | Streetcar | ERA Architects

Nearing completion of that glass. (Taken this afternoon).

Broadview_1.jpg
Broadview_2.jpg
Broadview_3.jpg

And starting to become more visible from other vantage points....

Broadview_4.jpg
Broadview_5.jpg

Attachments

• Broadview_1.jpg
    Broadview_1.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1,395
  • Broadview_2.jpg
    Broadview_2.jpg
    542.8 KB · Views: 1,367
  • Broadview_3.jpg
    Broadview_3.jpg
    215.5 KB · Views: 1,340
  • Broadview_4.jpg
    Broadview_4.jpg
    417.2 KB · Views: 1,350
  • Broadview_5.jpg
    Broadview_5.jpg
    344.9 KB · Views: 1,324
This Bozo goes on about the fine brickwork, but of course, doesn't mention as to why;
very fine mortar joints, etc, etc, all the while videoing the stonework.
BTW Mr Hume, the name Jilly's was the last of it's numerous namings; do your DD.

J T

Well, it's a positive viewpoint overall; no need to nitpick. It's not a historical treatise; it's a general interest video by the Toronto Star. I agree with Hume (and I often don't).... the reinvented edifice will serve as a fine gateway to the east end.

" The National Newspaper Award-winner has also written an "
TORSTAR.

I would have expected something a tad better from the Toronto Star's "Preeminent" scribe.

Regards,
J T

I'm hard pressed to understand what the issue is, JT. It's a 65-second video - as Lenser put it a "general interest video" - and you're mad that he didn't get into a detailed discussion of fine mortar joints? And not quite sure why you're worked up over the name - he mentioned that it had been called Jilly's for decades, and never suggested it didn't have names other than that. Just strange that you think that all this merits calling him a "bozo". Also not quite sure how Hume became the Star's "preeminent scribe".

I thought it was a good video to introduce people to the project. Not everyone in town is following it breathlessly on this thread.

"Also not quite sure how Hume became the Star's "preeminent scribe"."
As noted above, The Toronto Star, and again I quote from their own website -
"The National Newspaper Award-winner has also written an "
TORSTAR.
would lead one to believe that Chris Hume is absolutely Top Drawer; might even be considered
as "preeminent" within his field, hence my comment.

"and you're mad that he didn't get into a detailed discussion of fine mortar joints?"
My reply to the above, while edited for clarity, is self-explanatory.
"goes on about the fine brickwork, . . . all the while videoing the stonework."

As to the name being Jilly's for "decades and decades", his term, it just wasn't so; so why mention it within than manner, hence my critique.

These above examples are nothing new for Hume, as his reportage also fell amazingly short with his "effort" re The Real Jerk and their problems, somewhat surprisingly, they having been kitty-corner to the now known The Broadview Hotel.

Regards,
J T

Last edited:
Lots of Star journalists have won the National Newspaper Award. The Star usually gets a dozen nominations each year, and usually comes home with awards every year. Last year, Vinay Menon and a bunch of the Star sports writers won. Still unsure how any of this makes him the Star's "preeminent scribe" as you seem to be insisting. Maybe he's their preeminent urban design writer, but even then I'm still not sure what he's done wrong.

Also, your edits to your original post don't really clarify anything. The video showed fine brickwork while Hume mentioned fine brickwork. Fine. What is possibly wrong with that?

"The video showed fine brickwork "
Skeezix.

The video primarily shows the stonework; huge difference between Stone Masonry and Brick Masonry.
(It is quite obvious to me, that Hume knows little about building construction, as his Gloss-over of any real
reporting shows; or he is just sloppy.)

Regards.
J T

I just rewatched the video. Hume refers to the exterior brickwork when the video shows ... exterior brickwork. The fact that stonework is also within the frame - so?

JT, it's really unclear what your issue is.

You're mad that Hume mentioned the brickwork of a building, the exterior of which is primarily brick. You're mad that he mentioned that Jilly's, which had been there for decades, had been there for decades (34 years to be exact). And you're mad about something related to the Real Jerk which you haven't quite explained.

Last edited:

Back