Toronto Broadview Hotel | 28.65m | 7s | Streetcar | ERA Architects

The addition is inoffensive and respectful - but far, far too risk adverse.
AoD

It almost disappears, and maybe that's not a bad thing.

It seems oddly truncated to me, although perhaps I am too used to such existing heritage properties being incorporated into tower podiums. In any case, I think it the finished project will be a huge boon to the area.

Yea, I don't know how I feel about the addition. I find that it look outs of place, but I'm not sure what addition wouldn't look out of place atop the original building. Perhaps, as Tewder notes, the goal should be for it to simply 'disappear' in the background.

Last edited:
Yea, I don't know how I feel about the addition. I find that it look outs of place, but I'm not sure what addition wouldn't look out of place atop the original building.

The addition is treating the historic building with so much reverence that it forgot a) that it exist (and yes, we can still see it) and b) it should also look good and add to the existing structure. I think some risks should be taken so that the addition is sympathetic (perhaps in colours, materials?) while having a bit of personality of its own.

AoD

I agree it should be sympathetic but this heritage building has got quite a lot going on itself, no need to add anything here really.

Yea, I don't know how I feel about the addition. I find that it look outs of place, but I'm not sure what addition wouldn't look out of place atop the original building. Perhaps, as Tewder notes, the goal should be for it to simply 'disappear' in the background.

Yes, that was the plan with the Berczy and look how well that turned out. (on top) I don't think these grey, spandrel/glass additions hide anything. In fact, I think they stand out even more. I've heard lots of complaints about Berczy. The addition here seems just as bad.

Not really - but anytime I see your name attached to a thread - it's a negative post 95% of the time - especially when this developer is involved

Not really - but anytime I see your name attached to a thread - it's a negative post 95% of the time - especially when this developer is involved

I have 2500 posts, maybe you should look harder. A glass box on top of an historic building with oodles of charm is piss poor and I don't care who the builder is...whether it's Streetcar, Tridel or Daniels. If you're affiliated with Streetcar then please pass it on.

This is crap. I would approve if they at least acknowledged the rhythm of the windows and lined up the spandrel/glass to match. It looks like they dropped a hunk of glass on top of the building.

I also find this an inharmonious addition. I suppose economics are involved - but does it even need an addition?

I also find this an inharmonious addition. I suppose economics are involved - but does it even need an addition?

I asked myself that same question. Is the tiny addition necessary? Why can't the building just be left as is? Reno the interior and call it a day.

Back