Toronto BMO Field Renovations | ?m | ?s | MLSE | Gensler

I got so giddy this morning when I read about this (and the GRASS!!!) and learned that I had been bumped up to gold waiting list.

And, and and and......two more sleeps!!!!!!!!! :D

I think the biggest mistake was the north end. wtf is that supposed to be? that's where this 8K could have been

PS: wyliepoon, your rendering is quite sexy.....I'm sure, in twenty years after we've been stomping all over the MLS and Danny's our new pirate of a manager, we'll end up with something like that with average attendance of 45,000 per match and beer prices somewhere closer to normal

Last edited:
They massively under estimated Toronto because they looked at US cities as a gauge,

Well another thing that made them think that it might not take off here was because the Toronto Lynx had the worst attendance of the entire USL before TFC got here.

This made them think that the city wouldn't support a league that is viewed as inferior. The MLS is considered better than USL but it still very far from being as competitive as the big European leagues. However, I suspect that since the MLS is considered the best available league in the States, that people here thought it was acceptable.

I think it's fine that they add 8000 seats now, and if they need to add more later, they can do so. Better to be cautious than build a white elephant. It's easier to gauge demand this way.

I dont think so, They looked at the past Toronto pro soccer franchises that had much difficulty attracting fans into their home stadiums.

Exactly! That was a big error in judgement right off the bat. That was a completely different league. Management of a pro sports league and teams are crucial to their success. You can take a popular sport and fail miserably if you mismanage it. The CFL in Ottawa? The NBA in Vancouver? Both of those should have been successes, but failed due to incompetence by league and/or ownership groups.

The Toronto MLS group made far too many assumptions rather than doing proper research about the actual state of MLS and making smart decisions regarding the placement of their stadium on their lot.

The Toronto MLS group made far too many assumptions rather than doing proper research about the actual state of MLS and making smart decisions regarding the placement of their stadium on their lot.
And you've made too many assumptions about how the decisions were made! It's not "their lot". The stadium and land is owned by the city.

And remember that the City paid for the construction of the stadium also with taxpayers money. I doubt the City would have put more money than they did for a larger stadium.

Reading the Metro paper this morning, and there was an article saying that MLSE plans to add an additional 20,000 seats to the stadium.

Just passing on what I read.

I wouldn't trust anything from the Metro ever. It's basically run by a bunch of interns now, and they have no insider knowledge/connections whatsoever.

Reading the Metro paper this morning, and there was an article saying that MLSE plans to add an additional 20,000 seats to the stadium.

Just passing on what I read.

thanks for passing it on. However the Metro is completely incorrect. Maple Leaf Sports explicitly said they are looking to add 8000 seats.

Metro uses the Torstar news feed so I don't know what so illegitimate about it.

They said 8K two days ago. Maybe they changed their minds or are dreaming bigger now.

Though, I think the story is an eventual 20K addition, over time, in phases.

Just give me my grass and roof and cheaper beer for now, kthxbye! :)

And you've made too many assumptions about how the decisions were made! It's not "their lot". The stadium and land is owned by the city.

Are you trying to tell me that if they preferred building the stadium 20 metres further to the east to accommodate potential expansion on the west side down the road, the city would have said no because it would make the BMO Field parking area on the same lot smaller?

Last edited:
Metro uses the Torstar news feed so I don't know what so illegitimate about it.

They said 8K two days ago. Maybe they changed their minds or are dreaming bigger now.

Though, I think the story is an eventual 20K addition, over time, in phases.

Just give me my grass and roof and cheaper beer for now, kthxbye! :)

They have columnists that are Metro interns. The "news" of them adding 20,000 seats stems from one of those poorly written uninformed columns.

They didn't change their mind or decide to dream bigger and give the scoop to a ryerson student.

Back