Toronto BMO Field Renovations | ?m | ?s | MLSE | Gensler

Now you reminded me of the terrible Russian accents in Dr. Zhivago.

Good Morning Comrade!

I looked for the original thread but couldn't find it.

MLSE spies big BMO Field expansion
RICHARD LAUTENS/TORONTO STAR FILE PHOTO
BMO Field, the home turf for Toronto FC, has a capacity of about 20,000 but can be expanded by about 8,000 seats.

In news sure to bring smiles to thousands of people on Toronto FC's season-ticket waiting list, the club's owner is looking at an expansion of BMO Field.

"Everything you see right now says that there's a market for more than 20,000 seats," said Tom Anselmi, executive vice-president and chief operating officer with Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment.

While noting "we haven't put a pen to paper," in terms of designs for expanding the stadium on the Canadian National Exhibition grounds, Anselmi said given the runaway box office success of TFC, MLSE officials began looking at the possibility over the past year.

There's no time frame for an expansion, he said.

City-owned BMO Field, which has a capacity of 20,148 for soccer, could be expanded by about 8,000 seats "without having to tear things apart and start over again," Anselmi told reporters yesterday as the team finished its final Toronto practice before opening the season in Kansas City on Saturday.

For about $15 million, an upper deck could be built on the east side of the stadium and more rows of seats put at the south end, he said.

BMO Field, which opened in April 2007, cost $63 million to build.

MLSE, which owns the Maple Leafs, Raptors, TFC and Air Canada Centre, pays the city to operate BMO Field, billed as Canada's first soccer-specific stadium.

TFC has 16,000 season-ticket holders and a waiting list of about 14,000. Anselmi said about 700 people were moved off the waiting list this year and given some tickets such as mini-packs of regular-season games, friendlies and the CONCACAF series with Montreal and Vancouver "to add value to the wait list and keep them engaged."

Asked if a BMO Field expansion would include making room for the Argonauts, Anselmi said he'd prefer it stayed the way it is.

"One of the keys to success here has been having a soccer-specific stadium," he said. "You'd only want to look at CFL football if you could do it without compromising that.

"But, it's not our call."

Deputy Mayor Joe Pantalone said the city is "quite proud" of the success of BMO Field. And, while councillors have seen no specific plans for expansion, they'd certainly be willing to listen, he said.

"We would be sympathetic to an expansion if it's done properly in terms of maintaining the ambience of the place," Pantalone said in an interview. "But it has to be at the cost of MLSE, not city taxpayers."

Anselmi and TFC general manager Mo Johnston said MLSE would also like to look at replacing the FieldTurf at BMO Field with grass.

One possibility being looked at, Anselmi said, is building a new TFC practice facility adjacent to the Leafs new four-rink workout complex at Kipling and Lake Shore. "There's lots of work to do before that can come to fruition but the vision for it really is taking that whole block and turning it into a real high-performance and community sports complex," Anselmi said.

Once completed, that site would offer some of the public-access uses that now go on at BMO Field and make it easier to replace the FieldTurf with real grass, he said.

Pantalone was less sympathetic to that move, noting that while a new facility would be great, the attraction of BMO Field for public use is its "great location" in relation to downtown Toronto.

NOTE: TFC announced yesterday that all its games will air on The FAN 590. Half of the team's 30 games this season will be broadcast in their entirety, two joined in progress and 13 at www.fan590.com.

This stadium should have been built this size initially. I remember being up in arms when I heard it was only going to be 20K seating.

There are so many soccer players/fans in Toronto this city could easily support two MLS teams. Some people don't have vision though. At least it is going forward now... hopefully.

This stadium should have been built this size initially. I remember being up in arms when I heard it was only going to be 20K seating.
Perhaps in retrospect ... but I'm sure that no one, city, TFC, MLS, etc., is upset that this is the problem that they have. More fans than seats. Look at average 2006 MLS attendance. Galaxy were highest with 21,109, and then Chivas with 19,839 ... after that it drops steadily to 11,082 in Kansas City. 20,000 seats seemed like a good start. In 2008 attendance increased at Galaxy, but dropped elsewhere, with TFC being second at 20,108 ... but Chivas slipped to 15,114!

Looks like TFC will be at least 3rd this year, with Seattle having over 22,000 season tickets.

I am so hyped for the first home game. I got my ticket!

I will be cheering loudly for my hometown hero Dwayne De Rosario!
canada.gif

This will be the third season I haven't been able to get a ticket. So I'm looking forward to the expansion

if anyone ever needs to unload a ticket....

In retrospect, I don't know how I thought the MLS expansion into TO would be a failure.

Pantalone deserves a gold star for his efforts of selling TFC to the city.

Anselmi and TFC general manager Mo Johnston said MLSE would also like to look at replacing the FieldTurf at BMO Field with grass.

One possibility being looked at, Anselmi said, is building a new TFC practice facility adjacent to the Leafs new four-rink workout complex at Kipling and Lake Shore. "There's lots of work to do before that can come to fruition but the vision for it really is taking that whole block and turning it into a real high-performance and community sports complex," Anselmi said.

Once completed, that site would offer some of the public-access uses that now go on at BMO Field and make it easier to replace the FieldTurf with real grass, he said.

Why not use Lamport Stadium down the street from the BMO as their practice field.

The land immediately adjacent to BMO field is about 150% the size of that stadium:
bmoy.jpg

If they can anticipate a doubling in attendance of TFC games, there is room to build a serious purpose built soccer stadium next door.

Lisbon's Benfica did this. Leveraging Euro2004, they built a new stadium for that team right next door. It allowed the current stadium to operate while they built the new one. Once the new stadium was inaugurated, they began demolishing the old one and replaced it with a practice/community field.

Old:
estadio_da_luz.jpg

New:
800px-Estadio_da_Luz.jpg

^^Not likely to happen here- we just don't have the attendance or the euro leagues (UEFA, Champions, etc. National) to really support a 60,000 seat stadium - while I like the idea of a grand stadium full of wild football fans and have had the opportunity to go to some FC Barcelona games, as well as Ajax Amsterdam, I know how amazing such a place can be..Just don't expect it.

Nonetheless, I think that expanding the stadium is not the worst idea and could ultimately benefit our chances at getting another large scale football tournament.

p5

Well we've hosted about as big of a soccer event as we (Canada or Toronto) possibly could with the under 20s a couple years ago. At best, we'd have something that would be a great stadium for soccer during an Olympics (should we ever host one). Really, we just need the extra 5-10,000 to meet the needs of TFC, and these visions of anything greater are seriously delusions.

I think Lamport Stadium as a practice field isn't a bad idea, but the opportunity to build a whole new soccer facility for the city is an attractive opportunity. When TFC sold Edu, they were only allowed to use so much of the $5million towards bringing in new players (and another portion went to Major League Soccer) so they had a few million to put in the bank. Mo Johnson has been on record that he wants to use that money towards a practice facility, or to make improvements to the TFC Academy. Both would be extremely great for the city, so I think the city should be really excited about this opportunity.

The land immediately adjacent to BMO field is about 150% the size of that stadium:
bmoy.jpg

If they can anticipate a doubling in attendance of TFC games, there is room to build a serious purpose built soccer stadium next door.

Lisbon's Benfica did this. Leveraging Euro2004, they built a new stadium for that team right next door. It allowed the current stadium to operate while they built the new one. Once the new stadium was inaugurated, they began demolishing the old one and replaced it with a practice/community field.

Old:
estadio_da_luz.jpg

New:
800px-Estadio_da_Luz.jpg

This would be absolutely amazing if that ever happened. I know they could sell it out. Easily soccer is one of the bigger sports in the city next to hockey.

Hopefully someday Toronto will have a future that looks as beautiful as the one you painted in those photos! I would try to go to every single game!

Perhaps in retrospect ... but I'm sure that no one, city, TFC, MLS, etc., is upset that this is the problem that they have. More fans than seats. Look at average 2006 MLS attendance. Galaxy were highest with 21,109, and then Chivas with 19,839 ... after that it drops steadily to 11,082 in Kansas City. 20,000 seats seemed like a good start. In 2008 attendance increased at Galaxy, but dropped elsewhere, with TFC being second at 20,108 ... but Chivas slipped to 15,114!

Looks like TFC will be at least 3rd this year, with Seattle having over 22,000 season tickets.

Smart analysis would clearly have concluded quite early on that the Toronto market isn't comparable to markets in the USA. It's easy to point the finger in retrospect, but I imagine a lot of people saw the error in their judgement right from the get go.

The soccer team is getting an additional 8,000 seats, but what about 5 years down the road when they realize they need another 8,000? It's not as if this stadium didn't have a large enough lot, but they decided to build the west grandstand smack against the road. Almost all seat additions will have to be confined to the other sides.

They massively under estimated Toronto because they looked at US cities as a gauge, but their bigger mistake was the placement of the stadium on the lot. I suppose they could lower the field 20 metres, build another deck below the current lower bowl on the western side, and then rebuild the entire eastern deck to line up with the other side. That would be good long term planning, but such foresight has proven to be in short supply with the people running this.

Last edited:

Back