Toronto BMO Field Renovations | ?m | ?s | MLSE | Gensler

Montreal: Olympic Stadium (big), Molson (small), Saputo (small)
Toronto: SkyDome (big), BMO (small), Varsity (small)
That logic doesn't make sense. You include two 20,000 seat stadiums for Montreal (Molson and Saputo ... once the proposed expansion is complete), but leave out 4,000 seat Concordia stadium. But for Toronto you preclude a 4th stadium because you have 5,000 seat Varsity stadium? Surely Montreal only demonstrates that Toronto can easily handle another stadium!

That logic doesn't make sense. You include two 20,000 seat stadiums for Montreal (Molson and Saputo ... once the proposed expansion is complete), but leave out 4,000 seat Concordia stadium. But for Toronto you preclude a 4th stadium because you have 5,000 seat Varsity stadium? Surely Montreal only demonstrates that Toronto can easily handle another stadium!
If it's going to get down to 4,000 seat stadiums then Centennial, Esther Shiner, Birchmount and Lamport might all come into the mix for Toronto... even York.

Montreal isn't a good example - the primary tenant at Olympic Stadium has left town and the facility gets very little use. No one would propose building it today just so that it could be an overflow facility in case the Alouettes or Impact need to host a big game.

Unless the Olympics or an NFL team come to TO, there is no need at all for an additional facility in the 20,000+ range. I really like stadiums and think they have value to a city far beyond what most politicians would argue, but it just wouldn't make sense. BMO can be comfortably expanded to cover TFC's needs while the Jays and Argos are just fine in Skydome/Rogers for at least another 15 or 20 years... unless of course some billionaire wants to get silly with his own money, then I say bring it on!

Council approves grass at BMO Field

bmofield_256782gm-a.jpg

Maple Leafs Sports and Entertainment "confident" it will get approval from provincial and federal governments to replace artificial surface at Toronto's soccer stadium.

A proposal to replace the artificial turf at BMO Field with a natural grass surface - aimed at luring top-level soccer activity to the home base of Toronto FC - won quick approval from Toronto city council yesterday.

Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment Ltd., which manages city-owned BMO Field under an agreement with Toronto and the provincial and federal governments, plans upgrades of $5.5-million - including $3.5-million to replace the artificial playing surface and $1.2-million to relocate the stadium's winter bubble to Lamport Stadium at Exhibition Place. (A natural grass field could not be maintained under the winter structure.)

The city is not on the hook financially for the proposed upgrades, but expects the alterations will boost the revenues that flow to it under its agreement with MLSE.

Armed with council's approval, MLSE still needs a green light from the federal and provincial governments, which contributed to the construction of the $72-million soccer field that opened in 2007.

MLSE spokesman Bob Hunter said the company is "confident

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/council-approves-grass-at-bmo-field/article1308091/

Dont know if they have started grassing the BMO field yet, but i do know that they have finished installing the footings and drains for the seasonal inflated roof at Lamport Stadium, the bubble will be installed next week with the indoor soccer season starting November 28.:)

November142009378.jpg

They should install seats at Lamport. It looks so cheap, almost unfinished without proper seats.

Council approves grass at BMO Field

bmofield_256782gm-a.jpg

Maple Leafs Sports and Entertainment "confident" it will get approval from provincial and federal governments to replace artificial surface at Toronto's soccer stadium.

A proposal to replace the artificial turf at BMO Field with a natural grass surface - aimed at luring top-level soccer activity to the home base of Toronto FC - won quick approval from Toronto city council yesterday.

Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment Ltd., which manages city-owned BMO Field under an agreement with Toronto and the provincial and federal governments, plans upgrades of $5.5-million - including $3.5-million to replace the artificial playing surface and $1.2-million to relocate the stadium's winter bubble to Lamport Stadium at Exhibition Place. (A natural grass field could not be maintained under the winter structure.)

The city is not on the hook financially for the proposed upgrades, but expects the alterations will boost the revenues that flow to it under its agreement with MLSE.

Armed with council's approval, MLSE still needs a green light from the federal and provincial governments, which contributed to the construction of the $72-million soccer field that opened in 2007.

MLSE spokesman Bob Hunter said the company is "confident

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/council-approves-grass-at-bmo-field/article1308091/

I don't see a reason why MLSE should need approval from the governments.

It is their field. If they want to replace the grass and are paying for it then they should be able to.

I don't see a reason why MLSE should need approval from the governments.

It is their field. If they want to replace the grass and are paying for it then they should be able to.

The governments, having contributed to the costs of construction, are basically part-owners of BMO Field. They have every right to be involved in the decision. (Not to mention that BMO field is located on the Exhibition grounds, which I believe belongs to the City.)

The City of Toronto owns 100% of BMO Field, and it was built for community use for so many years with funding from the Provincial and Federal government. I'm not sure why it's a surprise that the province and feds would have to rubber stamp a change like this. But given the increased availability for community use, it was a no-brainer decision from everyone - hence the unusual unanimous city council decision.

Sorry guys to be posting about Lamport Stadium on this thread, but since someway Lamport is connected to the BMO expansion (new grass field will eventually bring in more seating capacity). Lamport will now take over from the BMO Field as the winter soccer facility for youth/adult training and competetive games.

November212009005.jpg

So I guess the plans to turn Lamport stadium into a Liberty village community park are off? I didn't see the point of keeping two soccer stadiums so close together and quite liked the park idea. Oh well, I guess they'll put one somewhere else.

Back