Toronto Bloor Street Revitalization | ?m | ?s | Bloor-Yorkville BIA | architectsAlliance

I suspect your correct re: 120 Bloor E. being part of their property but to leave it in such a desperate condition is very disappointing.

I'm being cautiously optimistic, but perhaps they're holding off on replacing the paving directly in front of the building until the city contractors finish up the N-W corner of Bloor and Church. Otherwise, the north sidewalk would be completely blocked off to pedestrian access. It appears that in the interim, they've laid down fresh asphalt to patch up the stones that had recently cracked and come loose, but surely it's just a temporary measure (I hope).

As for the S-E corner of Bloor and Church, I wouldn't say the paving there is in dismal condition. Certainly not impeccable and it does contrast somewhat with the new granite paving, but it seems like replacement would be a couple of years off.

Last edited:
As for the S-E corner of Bloor and Church, I wouldn't say the paving there is in dismal condition. Certainly not impeccable and it does contrast somewhat with the new granite paving, but it seems like replacement would be a couple of years off.

I would agree, in fact it was either in fall of 2007 or late spring of 2008 when parts of that corner were closed off in sections while many of the granite & concrete pavers were lifted, re-graded and laid back in again. There were also some replacement tiles laid down which were cracked or damaged. I wanted to walk by today and refresh my memory of the condition there but it was too cold and I had too much going on. I don't recall it being unsightly by any means short of the colour clash between the new gray granite against the old brown granite & concrete pavers.

Last edited:
Walking by the corner of Yonge and Bloor yesterday, I was wondering what happened to the public art sculpture that was promised. I remembered seeing something that it was to be installed last fall.

Royal Bank is also doing some work on the corner at their bank machines - what exactly they're doing - not sure.

BLOOR STREET
Construction Update
January 2010

Bloor Street Transformation Update

Yonge Street to Church Street

Installation of metal tree pit grates is still pending, due to product manufacturing issues. Exterior lighting will be installed in the next month. Some outstanding granite work, on the north side at Church and Bloor, and on the south side at 33 and 81 Bloor Street East is due to the work required on the hydro vaults. Toronto Hydro has not provided any anticipated dates for the start of this work.

Yonge Street to Avenue Road:

Phase 2 work will begin this Monday, January 11 and preparation is currently underway. The City’s Contractor will commence installing new catch basins and water mains in the roadway, on the south side of Bloor between Bay and Avenue Road in order to accommodate the widened sidewalks. They will also be excavating for and pouring new light standard bases on the boulevard on the south side of Bloor between Yonge and Avenue Road. This work will take about three to four weeks on the south side and then the contractor will repeat this operation on the north side of Bloor. The majority of this work will take place in the curb lane and no major work will commence on the sidewalks until approximately mid-March.

Great updates androiduk, especially confirming that the breaks in the granite around the Bloor & Church area will be addressed. Have you come across any information about what may happen with the sidewalk area in front of 120 Bloor East where IBM/Invesco Trimark is, formally The Crown Life Insurance Building?

I guess they'll continue west of Yonge soon.....does anyone know any timeline how long will it take them to reach Bay - Avenue?

Jan 16-10

Very few trees missing the grates.
IMG_jan-16-10-0146.jpg

IMG_jan-16-10-0108.jpg

IMG_jan-16-10-0109.jpg

Rust, amd it looks good too!

I don't like it. That one has a somewhat even amount of rust, most other tree grates have a mix of that yellow whatever-it-is mixed with metal. Surely they will be beautified in some way come spring.

BLOOR STREET

Construction Update

February-March 2010

Bloor Street Transformation Update

Yonge Street to Church Street

Some outstanding granite work, on the north side at 90 and 120 Bloor Street East , as well as on the south side at 33 and 81 Bloor Street East , is due for completion this spring. Timing of this work is related to having suitable temperatures for the proper adhesion of the granite surface, as well as availability of manpower to rebuild the hydro vaults on the south side.

Installation of the plantings in the newly installed granite planters will take place early spring, and will feature an array of colours and plant varieties. An extensive ‘show’ of beautiful tulips is expected in early May.

Yonge Street to Avenue Road:

Hydro Vault work will begin March 1st on the south side of Bloor St . between Bay St. and Avenue Rd. (details below). The work will include lowering of cables to accommodate the lowering of the vault lid (roof), which will eventually incorporate the granite paver pattern to match the sidewalks. Fencing will surround the worksite to ensure a safe working environment. Pedestrian traffic will be re-routed, where necessary, to ensure safe passage. The schedule for the specific addresses is as follows:

55 Bloor St. West March 1st – 21st

151 Bloor St. West March 1st – April 12th (Double Vault)

101 Bloor St. West March 21st – April 12th

A more detailed schedule regarding the sidewalk works will be distributed soon.

BIA Construction Contacts:

Lou Hack Tim Otten

Bluescape Bluescape

construction management inc. construction management inc.

(416) 806-3272 (647) 968-0506

lhack@bluescape.ca totten@bluescape.ca

City of Toronto Construction Contacts:

Musha Foradi Phil Tsolakis – Inspector Brij Talwar - Inspector

416-392-7660 Cell: 416-910-6103 (416) 432-2647 (647) 888-2063

mforadi@toronto.ca

Back