Toronto Bloor Street Revitalization | ?m | ?s | Bloor-Yorkville BIA | architectsAlliance

Dundas St.W. North of AGO

In my opinion Dundas St. West in AGO vacinity just demanding revitalization
in order to properly match the redeveloped & upgraded AGO!

And Fifth Avenue has a Gap, H&M and even a Disney Store between 49th and 57th.

You're right it does have a Gap there, I guess I'll have to eat my own words. However, I still think Bloor Street does not compare to Fifth Avenue. But I just took a look and this was already discussed.

5th avenue doens't really have awesome streetscaping at all.

Nothing compared to Omotesando:
img2253.jpg

img2228zk.jpg

Maybe once the trees grow up a bit in 30 years and after the next refurbishment Bloor will be that nice.

Hah, Toronto streets will never look that way. The ROW on our roads are much narrower than those in these photos.

A distant future could see Spadina could look like that one day, as could St. Clair. Central Eglinton just beyond Yonge could have its streetscape cleared along with a line of houses surrounding it and rebuilt in a modern Hausmannesque manner. There's a variety of possibilities for future generations (even the present perhaps). Let's not forget that University Avenue has already achieved it to a degree, but unfortunately it's lined with institutional buildings.

Last edited:
In my opinion Dundas St. West in AGO vacinity just demanding revitalization
in order to properly match the redeveloped & upgraded AGO!

Definitely... but in that case there's no BIA to support a redevelopment. The businesses across from the AGO could never afford to fix up that stretch. It would have to be a city or AGO initiative.

Hah, Toronto streets will never look that way. The ROW on our roads are much narrower than those in these photos.

The street may not be as wide, but there's nothing to stop us from having similarly nice sidewalks and good spaced large trees outside of small residential streets.

BLOOR STREET

Construction Update

December 2009

Bloor Street Transformation Update

Yonge St. to Church St .

With the completion of the tree planting, on the east portion of Bloor St. , the full impact of the project is being noted. Installation of metal tree pit grates is still pending, but should begin in later December. Some outstanding granite work, on the north side at Church and Bloor, and on the south side at 33 Bloor St. East and 81 Bloor St. East is due to the work required on the hydro vaults. This work needs to be carried out by Toronto Hydro and will likely take place in the New Year. Toronto Hydro has not provided any anticipated dates for the start of this work.

Yonge Street to Avenue Road:

Boulevard and road construction on the western portion of Bloor Street is expected to begin early to mid January 2010. For the balance of 2009, Toronto Hydro will continue to work in isolated locations between Yonge St. and Avenue Rd. Their work includes relocating power lines, in order to lower vault lids for road resurfacing, as well as upgrading antiquated lines. Toronto Hydro will not allow the City contractor to work in this area, at the same time, as their crews.

Pedestrian access to businesses and properties, between Yonge St. and Avenue Road will NOT be interrupted. No major work will be occurring on the boulevards for the month of December.

Yes, there are circular forms around the trees right now, it's fairly obvious when one passes that grates are coming. Each tree also has two lights (one on each side) mounted into the sidewalk that will shine up (I LOVE that effect) and illuminate the trees at night. Similar lighting is in the raised planters which have trees.

I'm surprised that Toronto Hydro is so far behind in the areas which should be nearing completion between Yonge & Church. Further, it's distressing that there's no mention of the mess in front of 120 Bloor E., this was discussed much back. From the building to about 20' into the sidewalk no granite was laid, I was sure it was coming as I thought there's no way they'd leave it in that condition - and perhaps it is. Currently, it's a dog's breakfast of pavers, concrete and asphalt fill.

Further, it's distressing that there's no mention of the mess in front of 120 Bloor E., this was discussed much back. From the building to about 20' into the sidewalk no granite was laid, I was sure it was coming as I thought there's no way they'd leave it in that condition - and perhaps it is. Currently, it's a dog's breakfast of pavers, concrete and asphalt fill.

I have a feeling that if those sections were going to be done the work would have been completed by now:(. I suspect that the area in front of this bldg is private property and the bldg owner didn't get on board with the new look. A similar situation exists at the south-east corner of Jarvis and Bloor. A real shame since the cracked granite pavers and asphalt patching really stand out now as eyesores against the sleek new sidewalks:(. I hope the city can avoid this situation as it moves further west into Toronto's "miracle mile".

I have a feeling that if those sections were going to be done the work would have been completed by now:(. I suspect that the area in front of this bldg is private property and the bldg owner didn't get on board with the new look. A similar situation exists at the south-east corner of Jarvis and Bloor. A real shame since the cracked granite pavers and asphalt patching really stand out now as eyesores against the sleek new sidewalks:(. I hope the city can avoid this situation as it moves further west into Toronto's "miracle mile".

I suspect your correct re: 120 Bloor E. being part of their property but to leave it in such a desperate condition is very disappointing.

Are you talking about Jarvis & Bloor or Church & Bloor S/E corner? If memory serves, the scope of the project only extends from Avenue Rd. to a little east of Church Street.

Are you talking about Jarvis & Bloor or Church & Bloor S/E corner? If memory serves, the scope of the project only extends from Avenue Rd. to a little east of Church Street.

My mistake - I should have said Church & Bloor (the twin granite clad buildings) The paving stones are in bad condition in front of these towers. These building owners benefit the MOST from the beautification of Bloor street and yet they are too cheap to contribute by cleaning up their own mess. I wish we had politicians with some guts to at least try to SHAME these building owners into action.

Back