Toronto Bloor Street Revitalization | ?m | ?s | Bloor-Yorkville BIA | architectsAlliance

It's been raised elsewhere but maybe condo developments could be required to contribute to BIA plans for tree plantings or sidewalk pavings etc. rather than to the often dismal art contributions? Also, why couldn't the city contribute somewhat too? They must have some budget for the sorry twigs and bad pavings they pay for?

They already do contribute. Some of the money for Bloor Street's revitalization came from s.37 contributions from development.

Yes, I suspect the issue is that the city should be leading the charge here with a long term comprehensive vision. Not the city's forte I understand and they'd rather give $100K+ for christmas lights under a highway overpass than plan for effective and sustainable greening/beautifying of the city streets. The reaction to Bloor has been overwhelmingly positive and rightfully so. In the face of the success and impact of this project can city hall really continue to stubbornly overlook the obvious in terms of what this city is truly lacking?

It's been raised elsewhere but maybe condo developments could be required to contribute to BIA plans for tree plantings or sidewalk pavings etc. rather than to the often dismal art contributions? Also, why couldn't the city contribute somewhat too? They must have some budget for the sorry twigs and bad pavings they pay for?

As mentioned by Tuscani01, new developments already cover all the costs of sidewalk reconstruction, tree plantings (the types of trees and planting requirements are dictated by the city in the site plan agreements) as well as irrigation systems for the trees on the roadways adjacent to building sites. Most of these agreements are detailed within site plan agreements and sometime sec 37 agreements. The city planning department can be rather picky on specific location for trees and the types of trees, types of soils etc. Toronto also has specific paving design plans for sidewalks which new developments are required to follow in most cases.

Last edited:
As mentioned by Tuscani01, new developments already cover all the costs of sidewalk reconstruction, tree plantings (the types of trees and planting requirements are dictated by the city in the site plan agreements) as well as irrigation systems for the trees on the roadways adjacent to building sites. Most of these agreements are detailed within site plan agreements and sometime sec 37 agreements. The city planning department can be rather picky on specific location for trees and the types of trees, types of soils etc. Toronto also has specific paving design plans for sidewalks which new developments are required to follow in most cases.

Do they explain exactly how the asphalt droppings are supposed to be distributed? :p

... all of this and yet the streets/trees are still as bad as they are?

Oct. 27th

The tree planting on the north side of Bloor Street is nearly complete, there are two or three trees left to go over towards Church Street. Because the leaves on many of the trees have turned yellow or brown, this doesn't look as dramatic as it will next spring when trees will sport green leaves again.

Click on the thumbnail to enlarge, then click again on the image for full size.

It'll be interesting to see how the snow will affect the tree's and the planters. With all the snow pile ups along with salt, it'll be a mess.

In the last picture, nearly all of the streetscaping work is negated by the shoddy sidewalk in front of the building (where the "Invesco Trimark") sign is. The city really needs to adopt some standards.

... all of this and yet the streets/trees are still as bad as they are?

City doesn't maintain our streets well... and with the upcoming massive operating deficit to be dealt with in the coming months I wouldn't anticipate it getting better any time soon.

In the last picture, nearly all of the streetscaping work is negated by the shoddy sidewalk in front of the building (where the "Invesco Trimark") sign is. The city really needs to adopt some standards.

I'm thinking that if the Yorkville BIA project didn't address this area it's quite possibly the building's property. I'm confident we'll see that section brought up to standards next year.

I'm thinking that if the Yorkville BIA project didn't address this area it's quite possibly the building's property. I'm confident we'll see that section brought up to standards next year.

I was wondering about that section as well. In addition to the damage that was already there (culminating in a mosaic of asphalt patches), those tiles have become horribly cracked over the past year, presumably from the concentrated pedestrian traffic diverted onto it due to the rest of the sidewalk construction. I also assumed that once the city was finished with the north-west corner of Bloor and Church, the property manager would replace those tiles.

Although difficult to see because they have no leaves, three of four trees have been planted in front of 2 Bloor West. I believe this will complete the tree planting for the season.

Click on the thumbnail to enlarge, then click again on the image for full size.

City doesn't maintain our streets well... and with the upcoming massive operating deficit to be dealt with in the coming months I wouldn't anticipate it getting better any time soon.

True, unfortunately. Funding decisions are political and all the more so in 'difficult' times (though Toronto's prosperity seems ridiculous given the experience in many other cities right now). Council will no doubt continue to respond with money to the demands of interest groups, but not many people are looking to agitate for sidewalks and trees. Shame. These are things that people should be demanding, that benefit all and that demonstrate civic pride but Torontonians don't seem to think this way. Micro interests tend to trump all others and it shows.

Back