News   Apr 19, 2024
 329     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 8.9K     2 

Toronto Bike Share

I find this is often the case for cycling infrastructure - most actual installation happens in the fall for whatever reason and the infrastructure sits over the winter months after completion.

Off to a flying start today with 3 more Bikeshare stations adding south-west Scarborough.

Birchmount/Kingston Road
Rosetta McClain Gardens
Kennedy/Highview

On a map:

1667314617563.png

I find this is often the case for cycling infrastructure - most actual installation happens in the fall for whatever reason and the infrastructure sits over the winter months after completion.
The City works on a calendar year budget and the budget is not actually approved before late February or early March (in 2022 it was approved on February 17. Then the staff need to prepare detailed specs etc etc etc. Lots of work gets tendered and started in the summer and is finished about now.

The City works on a calendar year budget and the budget is not actually approved before late February or early March (in 2022 it was approved on February 17. Then the staff need to prepare detailed specs etc etc etc. Lots of work gets tendered and started in the summer and is finished about now.

Right, but it doesn't need to be done the way it is.............and with Bikeshare.....its changing; they got pre-approval to order next year's bike stations and bikes this fall with the express intent of having them all rolled out by Canada Day.

Its a discussion I've had with City budget staff, that the Capital budget should actually start its cycle in the spring of each year and be approved in fall, so that construction tenders go out in Dec/Jan, are awarded in Feb/March and work begins in April/May instead of the entirely absurd nonsense of having the capital budget cycle run in line w/the operating.

I have suggested that if they really want to do that, then on a one-time basis they need to do two years at once and have w/e extra personnel and OT are required, so that Capital Budget actually approves the following year's expenses, rather than the current year. ie. A Capital budget approved in February '23 should be approving projects for the '24 construction season.

Expansion rollout continues apace.

New Stations:

Kingston Road/Warden
Kingston Road/Ridgemoor
Sharp St/Park St. (Sandown Park)
Pharmacy/Danforth
Warden/Danforth

Total Stations now at 638 City wide.

I once encountered an improperly docked bike. I think I noticed because it wouldn't let me sign it out and it was the last bike at the dock. Glad I saved a fellow rider some money.
I was once unable to check out a bike after a quick stop at a library. Said I still had an active ride. Sure enough, my previous bike at that dock was not properly docked. Glad it was me who found my own mistake. Now I'm even more careful when I dock my bikes.

Back