News   Apr 18, 2024
 666     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 5.9K     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2.4K     4 

Toronto Bike Share

We already knew that the planned Bikeshare expansion this coming year was 38 additional docks...........but this note in a budget report gives us a bit more info.

1636665747788.png

Taken from here: https://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2021/bu/bgrd/backgroundfile-172524.pdf

Let me offer my late replies to some posts from way back in this past March.

I'm noticing that the few electric bikeshare bicycles out there seem to be used by food couriers these days. I guess they look for the bikes, and hope no one else rides away with them when they're making a delivery (or do they lock them?)

Sometimes they lock them.

The user agreement doesn't forbid commercial use. However, system staff don't allow members to lock any Bike Share bike to a post-and-ring stand or other common object.

If you photograph the bike, the lock, and the bike-number sticker, you can report the violation. Customer service can warn the courier and possibly cancel their membership.

(Source.)

Haha I actually noticed one in front of my building last week, and I was tempted to take it since they're so hard to find!

The e-bikes can be reasonably fun. If you've never ridden an e-bike, I'd encourage you to try one at least once. :)

My thinking is that they are taking advantage of the low demand during the winter months.

During the summer time, whenever I used an electric bike, I would check the app and usually without fail, within 5 minutes of parking the e-bike someone else had already taken it.
Couriers use the e-bikes even during the summer.

I've started a thread in the /r/bikeshare sub-Reddit (which I co-moderate) to discuss the issue of couriers hogging e-bikes. Some of the regulars in that sub-Reddit are mechanics or other bike-share system employees.

Say a courier hogs an e-bike, but is somewhat careless about renewing it. They sometimes renew it on time, but sometimes don't. Say they accrue $10, $20, or $30 of overage per day.

These overage fees will add up over time, especially if the couriers use the bikes in the winter and/or early spring. The system might be able to use these overage fees to buy many more e-bikes, so that everyone wins.

Another possible option might be to charge a per-minute fee for all use of e-bikes during peak hours. A third possible option might be to charge a per-minute fee for all e-bike usage once a user exceeds some reasonable monthly-use threshold.

The system could be set to lock the ebike to its current user the next time it’s docked. So, you get one ebike use per day.
The one time I got an e-bike I rode it from downtown to deep in Etobicoke. I'm not ashamed to say that I still needed some docking for that trip.

One of the best parts about the e-bikes is that it enables much longer trips than you'd normally take on a bike share so I view such a policy as a negative impact on the group we're trying to serve. I'd prefer something like no more than 5 or 7 uses per day and bring back escalating overage fees and make them accrue for the entire day as opposed to per trip.

I'd prefer something like no more than 5 or 7 uses per day and bring back escalating overage fees and make them accrue for the entire day as opposed to per trip.
I think this is the right idea. My guess is that if you model e-bike usage you’ll see a small percentage of users racking up most of the rides, and probably an order of magnitude more than the median.

The interesting thing is that you may want to escalate the fees just enough and not cap uses so that you can pump more revenue into the system from these super users without causing their usage to fall off a cliff (I think it’s good that couriers are using bikes instead of cars, for example). If your goal is simply to make e-bikes more generally available for everyone then a system that caps the number of e-bike trips a day would be preferable, I think.

FWIW, Citibike in NYC has per-minute premium on e-bike usage. But you also don’t see couriers use Citibike ebikes because of the availability of tons of private e-bike companies that rent out to delivery drivers.

You may want to escalate the fees just enough and not cap uses so that you can pump more revenue into the system from these super users without causing their usage to fall off a cliff (I think it’s good that couriers are using bikes instead of cars, for example).

Yes! I think that increasing the courier fees just the right amount might be the perfect solution. Instead of driving cars or buying their own e-bikes, some couriers will continue to use Bike Share. Perhaps the fees could be used to buy more e-bikes, creating a virtuous circle in which the system gains many new e-bikes and stations every year. In time, maybe, there could be an ample supply of e-bikes, so that both couriers and regular users can easily find one.

FWIW, Citibike in NYC has per-minute premium on e-bike usage. But you also don’t see couriers use Citibike ebikes because of the availability of tons of private e-bike companies that rent out to delivery drivers.

Citi Bike is a private, for-profit system. (Source.) It earns a profit every year. The profit motive encourages the owners to improve service quality. (Source.) Members are charged US$0.12/minute for e-bike use. This is US$7.20 per hour. (Source.) The fees add up quickly, and likely make Citi Bike an unattractive option for couriers. (Source.) I think this is the real reason why couriers don't use Citi Bike.

If the Citi Bike system would offer volume discount pricing for couriers who use e-bikes all day, perhaps more couriers would switch to the comfort and ease of Citi Bike. This might bring benefits to non-courier Citi Bike users, too.

Time to update the 2022 Bikeshare Expansion Plan.

Report heading to the February 18th meeting of The Toronto Parking Authority seeking authorization for this year's new bikes has some details.

From the Report:

1644600649990.png

1644600622640.png

1644600710151.png

1644600732446.png

An Additional general update on Bikeshare is also headed to the same meeting; report link below:

From that report:

Bold opening statement:

1644600889672.png

Then...

1644600857868.png

And

1644600938425.png

First time I think we've heard the explicit goal of being in all 25 wards:

1644601017633.png

On the 45M plan:

1644601158863.png

1644601223018.png

Lastly, on the challenges with E-Bikes:

1644601321324.png

1644601344034.png

1644601359618.png

The report gives the impression that the Bike Share Toronto program is fairly competent in planning and operations and well-managed as far as city departments go. The real barrier to operations and expansion seems to be a simple matter of available funding.

The next Toronto budget needs to include more funding for Bike Share. I hope public officials see the massive potential at wake here.

Back