News   Apr 19, 2024
 466     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 9.5K     2 

Toronto Bike Share

Hopefully it will go all the way to Colonel Samuel Smith Park? And also fingers crossed for more stations in the Junction!

From the posted maps it should extend as far as Long Branch so Col Sam Smith is covered. As for the Junction that's in too as it looks like Dundas is covered all the way to Scarlett.

And today's:
Palmerston Ave / Dundas St W
Wolsley / Palmerston Ave
Walnut Ave / Queen St W
135 Queen’s Wharf
Lynn Williams St / East Liberty St
Vaughan Rd / Wychwood Ave

In addition to more downtown, it looks like in the last few days they are starting to expand up on St. Clair (though as a new cyclist I would never want to ride on St. Clair proper...scary) and also west of Humber Bay Shores/Mimico (Amos Waites Park). Hopefully it will go all the way to Colonel Samuel Smith Park? And also fingers crossed for more stations in the Junction!
Well the city said the network will be extended out to Long Branch in this round, so logically thinking Colonel Samuel Smith Park should be included!

On a side note, I believe I seen some prep work going on today to install bikes on Lake Shore and Mimico. I'm just not able to confirm it 100% though.

@Northern Light, @bedoozled:

I appreciate the posts about where new stations have been added!

A.) Where do you get your information about which new stations have just been installed?

B.) Is there any easy way for me to find out exactly where new stations are planned in my neighborhood, before they're installed?

@Northern Light, @bedoozled:

I appreciate the posts about where new stations have been added!

A.) Where do you get your information about which new stations have just been installed?

B.) Is there any easy way for me to find out exactly where new stations are planned in my neighborhood, before they're installed?

Bikeshare Toronto's Twitter Feed typically posts new stations as they go live within an hour or so.

Even if you're not on Twitter you can access their feed off their page.

Your councillor's office should have a list of stations for your ward.

Does anyone know if the Transit app gets some sort of affiliate commission for buying Bixi passes through their app?

Today's new stations:

Humber College Lakeshore
Berry Rd/Bell Manor Dr.
Royal York and Mimico
Windsor Street/Newcastle Street (by Mimico GOStn)
Lake Shore Blvd and 39th Street
Lake Shore Blvd and 24th Street

Can't do the whole city at once. Bike Share after this year will be absolutely massive and will cover a huge area. The system even 3 years ago was so much smaller. It's really quite incredible progress.

7,000 bikes when this expansion is complete! It's one of the lone good cycling stories in Toronto.

I just open the app and look for where there’s space.
I've planned bike rides where I aim to end a dock that has space but by the time I get there, it's full. It's extremely frustrating when you're running a bit tight on time and you end up parking further away and have to spend an extra 10 min walking to your destination.

Always thought that it would have been an intriguing idea to partner up with landlords and shopowners to offer 'partnered parking spots'.

Hence neighbourhoods which want additional bike traffic can offer more space to park near or on their properties, and increase foot traffic (maybe even working with the city to replace parking spaces on the streets). Likewise, bicyclists could also get offers and deals from shopowners to park and 'check-in' at a store (i.e. like Yelp- 5 free miles! 10% off your coffee!).

IMO it would very much be a 'carrot' form of encouraging biking habits, increasing capacity in a granular manner, and making storeowners more receptive to additional infrastructure, though it would work better with a SoBi style of bikesharing, rather than CycleTO's hard infrastructure.

Last edited:

Back