News   Apr 24, 2024
 148     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 2.1K     5 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 602     0 

Toronto Bike Share

The dockless system was one of my favourite features of the Hamilton Bike Share. One of the best advantages it had over BIXI is that you never had the "full dock" problem. My biggest grievance with BIXI is that sometimes you're circling for an extra 15 min trying to find an open dock to park your bike.

Also, some cool stats from the press release:
  • The highest ridership day (of all time) was May 23, 2020 with 20,911 rides (non-free ride Wednesday).
  • Last weekend the Bike Share Toronto system hit a new record, with the highest number of rides in a single weekend. There were over 36,000 trips taken on June 6 and 7.
  • In the last 12 months, year over year ridership has increased by 22%, from 2,029,429 rides to 2,467,281 rides. (May 31, 2018-2019, compared to May 31, 2019-2020)
  • More than 10.2 million trips have been taken on the Bike Share Toronto system since its inception in 2011.
  • In the last 12 months, year over year membership has increased by 60% from 146,604 to 234,117 (May 31, 2018-2019, compared to May 31, 2019-2020).

I imagine all the ebike docks will be downtown, although having 1 or 2 in NY & Scarbs could be interesting, giving people the option to ebike between zones.

All-in, 4 new Bikeshare stations installed during the day today; they all serve the western waterfront.

Lakeshore Blvd W / Colborne Lodge Dr

Humber Bay Shores Park / Marine Parade Dr

Superior Ave / Lakeshore Blvd W

Amos Waites Park

Edit to add: They've brought 3 more online this evening!

Ripley Ave / Ormskirk Ave (Swansea area)

St Clarens Ave / Shirley Ave (Dundas/Lansdowne area)

Sheridan Ave / Dundas St W

So 7 total stations on the 1st day of rollout.

Last edited:
The dockless system was one of my favourite features of the Hamilton Bike Share. One of the best advantages it had over BIXI is that you never had the "full dock" problem. My biggest grievance with BIXI is that sometimes you're circling for an extra 15 min trying to find an open dock to park your bike.
I just open the app and look for where there’s space.

I just open the app and look for where there’s space.

I've planned bike rides where I aim to end a dock that has space but by the time I get there, it's full. It's extremely frustrating when you're running a bit tight on time and you end up parking further away and have to spend an extra 10 min walking to your destination.

New Bikeshare Stations today:

Sherbourne St N / Elm Ave

Spadina Rd / Austin Terrace (Casa Loma)

Joseph J Piccininni Community Centre (St. Clair West, just east of Caledonia)

Bartlett Parkette (n/e of Dufferin/Dupont)

Lisgar Park (Queen West/Lisgar)

Queen West/Fenning

And today's:
Palmerston Ave / Dundas St W
Wolsley / Palmerston Ave
Walnut Ave / Queen St W
135 Queen’s Wharf
Lynn Williams St / East Liberty St
Vaughan Rd / Wychwood Ave

In addition to more downtown, it looks like in the last few days they are starting to expand up on St. Clair (though as a new cyclist I would never want to ride on St. Clair proper...scary) and also west of Humber Bay Shores/Mimico (Amos Waites Park). Hopefully it will go all the way to Colonel Samuel Smith Park? And also fingers crossed for more stations in the Junction!

Back