News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.3K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 562     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.2K     1 

Toronto Bike Share

Bixi in Montreal just got $108M in loans and credit guarantees from the City of Montreal. Hopefully this is just a bump on the road to success. I think this Public Bike system is a fantastic idea and I hope it has more success in Montreal and elsewhere.

Is that a loan to offset operating losses?
Or is it a loan for capital expansion?

A loan in and of itself doesn't imply a "bump on the road".

Just spent 3 days in Montreal using Bixi like there was no tomorrow.

I couldn't believe how much of the city I got to see intimately, enjoy and all that would not have been possible without those cute little bikes. I'm ecstatic Toronto is getting Bixi and I truly hope they expand in the coming months. The service area is way too small.

As soon as I move back to Toronto (a month or two at this point) I will immediately buy a Bixi annual membership. It would change the way I get around downtown.

Bixis really seem to be compounding Toronto's "sidewalk cyclist" problem. I guess that's what happens when people who don't normally cycle in the city get on a bike. Last night on Queens Quay it seemed like everyone on a Bixi was riding on sidewalks. My dog almost got run over by one.

I live on QQ -- I saw Bixis on the road but none on the sidewalk. That said, I regularly see bikes on the sidewalks on QQ. Drives me nuts, especially in the sections with bike lanes.

Bixis really seem to be compounding Toronto's "sidewalk cyclist" problem. I guess that's what happens when people who don't normally cycle in the city get on a bike. Last night on Queens Quay it seemed like everyone on a Bixi was riding on sidewalks. My dog almost got run over by one.

out where I live in vaughan, basically everyone bikes on the sidewalk, young and old. Although up here hardly anyone walks on the sidewalk.

I'm a 19 year old who's had a G2 for 2 years, and I haven't been driving regularly for the last year or so.

I frequently go downtown and I've only ever done it once by car, so it's safe to say I'm completely foreign when it comes to commuting by anything but TTC or my own feet.

Regardless of this, a friend and I were able to abide by all traffic laws, frequented many routes without bike lanes, as well as arrived on time and safely without garnering one honk from drivers.

Thus, if you can't keep your pansy butt off the sidewalk, DON'T BIKE. I'm a suburbanite kid with little to no relative experience driving and I managed just fine. There's no excuse, hand out the fines and keep the sidewalk for pedestrians.

Last edited:
out where I live in vaughan, basically everyone bikes on the sidewalk, young and old. Although up here hardly anyone walks on the sidewalk.

I too live in Vaughan and it's unbelievable how many cyclists are on the sidewalk. Yesterday on my commute (10min cycling), I saw about 15 other cyclists, only one of whom was also riding on the road.

That said, riding on the sidewalk on a minor suburban arterial is quite different than riding on the sidewalk on Queen's Quay or King. Not that I endorse sidewalk cycling, but I understand why people do it. Car speeds can be much higher in the suburbs, and the sidewalks are much safer due to the absence of driveways, low number of intersections and even lower numbers of pedestrians. It's not uncommon for me to count more cyclists than pedestrians on the sidewalk.

I too live in Vaughan and it's unbelievable how many cyclists are on the sidewalk. Yesterday on my commute (10min cycling), I saw about 15 other cyclists, only one of whom was also riding on the road.

That said, riding on the sidewalk on a minor suburban arterial is quite different than riding on the sidewalk on Queen's Quay or King. Not that I endorse sidewalk cycling, but I understand why people do it. Car speeds can be much higher in the suburbs, and the sidewalks are much safer due to the absence of driveways, low number of intersections and even lower numbers of pedestrians. It's not uncommon for me to count more cyclists than pedestrians on the sidewalk.

yea exactly,I would not feel comfortable riding my bike ont he street up in Vaughan, especially on streets with speeds of 60kmh or 70 kmh.

I guess sometimes people are so used to riding on the sidewalk in the suburbs or their respective cities, that when they're downtown for some leisurely fun they often just forget that they are in a different setting and that they can't ride on the sidewalk.

In a lot of US cities (that are suburban), you are allowed to ride on the sidewalk but, for some reason, you have to ride in the direction of the car traffic on your side.

Maybe it was rude of me, but there was someone riding up the sidewalk behind me and I was sure to walk right in the middle of the sidewalk and not leave enough room for the cyclist to pass (ok, ok, so when I read that back to myself it was pretty rude) in the hope that they would get the hint. After that, I decided to take a more direct route and made a fairly polite comment to another rider that the sidewalk is not for cyclists.

OMG I just realized I'm turning into my mom.

I don't blame them! Vaughan drivers are insane!!!

OMG I just realized I'm turning into my mom.
LOL! It happens to the best of us :)

Good luck with getting confirmed sidewalk-riders to take the hint. I've told more than a few, and they look at me like I have three heads or something. They truly do not seem to understand that they do not belong on the sidewalk.

The only time I bike on sidewalks is on suburban arterials. Biking from Humber Bay Shores to Kipling/Eglinton, I encounter maybe 3 pedestrians in my way.

Downtown, always on the street.

Back