Toronto Berwick and CityTowns at The Berwick | ?m | 17s | Andrin | P + S / IBI

I walk by this eyesore almost every day, and to be honest, it's just terrible. The railings on the building are painted galvanized steel, the brickwork (aside from the colour discussion) is very poorly done - wavy and inconsistent, the window sills on the towns all have a mortar joint in the middle, pretty much guaranteeing mold in the next 3-4 years, if not sooner, the caps on the garden beds are completely uneven, and at least one is already broken, the paving stones are already sloping away from the walks and some of the walk ways are 1/2" above the sidewalk, and most of the trees they planted are dead - and it's not even done yet! Also, when they "repaired" the road along the Duplex side, they created a dam that holds water for days after rain (or even irrigation), which will surely be fun in the winter.

To say these are "luxury" is a complete lie. I would be pissed if I bought one on spec and came to find this poor level of finish. And that's just the outside. I can't imagine how bad it is inside!

September 12:

20150912_171132.jpg
20150912_171201.jpg

Attachments

• 20150912_171132.jpg
    20150912_171132.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 821
  • 20150912_171201.jpg
    20150912_171201.jpg
    212.9 KB · Views: 1,024
How underwhelming. For comparison, here's what the town homes looked like in the renderings.

Screen shot 2015-09-14 at 11.37.08 AM.png
Screen shot 2015-09-14 at 11.38.04 AM.png

Attachments

• Screen shot 2015-09-14 at 11.37.08 AM.png
    Screen shot 2015-09-14 at 11.37.08 AM.png
    820.4 KB · Views: 1,052
  • Screen shot 2015-09-14 at 11.38.04 AM.png
    Screen shot 2015-09-14 at 11.38.04 AM.png
    541.9 KB · Views: 823
Pretty disgusting that a developer can get away with something like this. The white doors, disgusting. The flower beds, disgusting. Everything about the towns is horrendous. Looks more like an insane asylum.

But that's how it works, right? I have many friends who bought into the developers flashy renderings and all the marketing hype. And these people boast about how beautiful their "urban town" will look based on the rendering, only to find out it looks nothing like what was advertised.

interchange42, I would really love if UT could find out why the developer decided to go the route they did. I mean, the developer didn't even attempt to make the towns look like the rendering.

Don't feel bad for the buyers, their neighbors lost this block of charming, old brick bungalows and mature trees:

https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.7043...4!1sAQn7t3v-VfbKLkiyfCks9w!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Now they get to look at Roundabout's pictures.

Exhibit A as to why we shouldn't just clear cut old buildings or homes solely to intensify an area imo. There's no arguing those homes were an underutilization of the land but god damn is this a horrible replacement. At bare minimum, we should expect that the replacement for older structures should look better than what was there before...

Last edited:
Pretty disgusting that a developer can get away with something like this. The white doors, disgusting. The flower beds, disgusting. Everything about the towns is horrendous. Looks more like an insane asylum.

But that's how it works, right? I have many friends who bought into the developers flashy renderings and all the marketing hype. And these people boast about how beautiful their "urban town" will look based on the rendering, only to find out it looks nothing like what was advertised.

interchange42, I would really love if UT could find out why the developer decided to go the route they did. I mean, the developer didn't even attempt to make the towns look like the rendering.

When you posted this the other day, I was going to say something about the white doors, and how I just assumed they were temporary during construction, and that they would be replaced by the glass doors in the renderings. I didn't, but today they were being painted the same crappy beige as the railings around the corner. So instead of the contemporary sleek glass doors they get crappy pseudo-traditional Home Depot Masonite doors with the '80s "S-curve" door levers.

Pathetic.

When you posted this the other day, I was going to say something about the white doors, and how I just assumed they were temporary during construction, and that they would be replaced by the glass doors in the renderings. I didn't, but today they were being painted the same crappy beige as the railings around the corner. So instead of the contemporary sleek glass doors they get crappy pseudo-traditional Home Depot Masonite doors with the '80s "S-curve" door levers.

Pathetic.

That is my biggest gripe in regards to a lot of developments - bland white doors. Those Masonite doors probably cost the builder what, a good $200 per door? It looks like a bedroom door. If they are going to use such bland Masonite doors, would it have really hurt them to go with something with a little bit of visual interest - ie : http://www.homedepot.ca/product/34x482089-16-craftsman-6-lite-fibreglass-smooth-left-hand/838719 - If the builder actually gave a sh*t, they would have used wooden doors and used wooden trim much like you see with Linea on Bayview towns. And to think, these towns range from $950K to $1.3 million.

Back