IMG_4334.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_4333.JPG
    IMG_4333.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 627
  • IMG_4334.JPG
    IMG_4334.JPG
    534.8 KB · Views: 583
@DSC, here's a suggestion. Tear yourself away from your screen, get yourself over to Queen and University, and take a look at the monument in question. It was designed so that water would emerge from underneath the statue of Beck. There is no catchbasin or other means of directing rainwater in there. In other words, the water that once emerged from under the statue was pumped there, as one does with fountains.
To the point of my remarks above, and Avenue's comment, are you defending the city's record of building and maintaining fountains?
Speaking of fountains, the Salmon fountain near the aquarium has been turned off for 3 years now and that is one of the nicest fountains in the city at an important location. I have called to complain about it on 3 different occasions and I'm told EVERY YEAR, that someone is working on it and it should be working again this year.

I have gotten that same response 3 years in a row! Why can't this city get its act together and maintain its few measly fountains?

Speaking of fountains, the Salomon fountain near the aquarium has been turned off for 3 years now and that is one of the nicest fountains in the city at an important location. I have called to complain about it on 3 different occasions and I'm told EVERY YEAR, that someone is working on it and it should be working again this year.

I have gotten that same response 3 years in a row! Why can't this city get its act together and maintain its few measly fountains?
Agreed! I wrote to the Entertainment District BIA (who are funding part of the restoration) and got this back last week. "We are in communication with the City on this and they have had a delay. We are hopeful that it will be operational before July 1st." I think they mean 2017 but .....

This park is such a big hit. So many people there taking pictures especially of the fountain.

Speaking of fountains, the Salomon fountain near the aquarium has been turned off for 3 years now and that is one of the nicest fountains in the city at an important location. I have called to complain about it on 3 different occasions and I'm told EVERY YEAR, that someone is working on it and it should be working again this year.

Did you point out this fact to the respondent? Escalation is always unpleasant, but it always gets results. Ditto bad press - try the Star Fixer? They already covered it at least once:

https://www.thestar.com/yourtoronto...fountain-are-fish-out-of-water-the-fixer.html

AoD

^^For now. I just walked through Sherbourne Common. Fountains not working. Weeds everywhere. Water jets in the pond not working. Dead trees. How old is this park?

@DSC, here's a suggestion. Tear yourself away from your screen, get yourself over to Queen and University, and take a look at the monument in question. It was designed so that water would emerge from underneath the statue of Beck. There is no catchbasin or other means of directing rainwater in there. In other words, the water that once emerged from under the statue was pumped there, as one does with fountains.
To the point of my remarks above, and Avenue's comment, are you defending the city's record of building and maintaining fountains?
That's the kind of rude comment that keeps me away from here. @DSC was questioninbg whether the Adam Beck momorial had ever been a'fountain". He presented quite compelling evidence that it had not (which the subsequent photos seem to prove) and he did so in a totally non-confrontational way and appeared open to seeing evidence from you that it had. You have subsequently presented none. UT is no worse than otherr anonymous fora but we really could try a bit harder!

^^For now. I just walked through Sherbourne Common. Fountains not working. Weeds everywhere. Water jets in the pond not working. Dead trees. How old is this park?
I think the problem with the water feature at Sherbourne Common is that the high Lake level means the water cannot drain into the Lake so it is not turned on. The channel nearest the Lake seems to be partly filled with water that has come IN from the Lake.

That said, the general maintenance of the park is not good. WT creates great parks, gives them to the City and Mr Tory and his chums cut the Parks budget. Sad.

^^Let's hope there will be more eyes on Berczy Park and it won't slide into disrepair like Sherbourne Common..or Canoe Landing...or...

I saw the working fountain yesterday for the first time. It's as amazing as everyone says. But, irresponsible parents allow their children to sit on top of the dogs. This can't be good for them but I can't think of a way to deter kids. The last thing I want is signs prohibiting that.

The dog days of summer (sorry, couldn't resist).

There's that stylish lady again and her cute-beyond-compare little friends.

Bernzy1.jpg

Puppy love.

Bernzy2.jpg

Bernzy3.jpg

Bernzy4.jpg

Love birds...

Bernzy5.jpg

Edit: Just realized this evening that the fountain kitty seems to be looking intently at these birds to his north. Talk about attention to detail!

Bernzy6.jpg
Bernzy7.jpg

Bernzy8.jpg

Several of these around the park....more nice touches.

Bernzy9.jpg

Bernzy10.jpg

Attachments

• Bernzy1.jpg
    Bernzy1.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 609
  • Bernzy2.jpg
    Bernzy2.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 469
  • Bernzy3.jpg
    Bernzy3.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 409