Toronto Berczy Park Revitalization | ?m | ?s

I hope they don't put another hideous city of Toronto parks sign here.

I hope the city do put in another one of their City of Toronto Park signage. It'll help identify this lovely green space as a city park and open to all.

With the new plaza-like interlocking brick roadway on Scott Street between this new park and 33 Yonge building - the silver glass building with QuiznosSub and TimHortons,... this new park could be mistaken for a court-yard belonging to that building!

This city definitely needs more signage identifying city parks and also POPS - Privately Owned Public Space which often have Full Public Access On Private Property defined in their City Planning development approvals,... otherwise people avoid using these open space for fear of trespassing on private property.

I assume we'll be getting the now standard giant black and blue plastic waste bins here.

You damn right we will.

garbagerecycling16x9.jpg

http://www.citynews.ca/wp-content/blogs.dir/sites/10/2015/10/15/garbagerecycling16x9.jpg

I hope the city do put in another one of their City of Toronto Park signage. It'll help identify this lovely green space as a city park and open to all.

With the new plaza-like interlocking brick roadway on Scott Street between this new park and 33 Yonge building - the silver glass building with QuiznosSub and TimHortons,... this new park could be mistaken for a court-yard belonging to that building!

This city definitely needs more signage identifying city parks and also POPS - Privately Owned Public Space which often have Full Public Access On Private Property defined in their City Planning development approvals,... otherwise people avoid using these open space for fear of trespassing on private property.

It's been a park for the longest time - this isn't anything like POPS - the last thing we need is too much visual clutter for signage that hardly anyone notice.

AoD

It's been a park for the longest time - this isn't anything like POPS - the last thing we need is too much visual clutter for signage that hardly anyone notice.

AoD

Yes, I realize it's been a city park for decades,... I used to work at 33 Yonge, the building directly west of this city park.

Both the previous and new design of this city park, with it's large water fountain, unconventional interlocking brick-paver pattern, hilly grassy area with brick wall embankment isn't typical design template of a city of Toronto park design - which make it even more important to have proper signage identifying this as a public park open to all. And whenever the water fountain breaks or some idiot empty a box of bubbly soap detergent into the water fountain,.... they'll know to report it to the city at 311. And when the homeless people return to this park after construction is complete, they'll know they won't get kicked out by private security guards at nearby private properties.

The fact that we need a huge fight over something as obvious as this is quite telling - anyone with less fortitude on this would have caved.

AoD
Yes, Toronto Hydro Street Lighting are not at all civic minded and have no interest in 'beautification' or aesthetics. They recently started to install 40 foot concrete poles with Acorn lights in the residential part of St Lawrence south of The Esplanade (replacing old and obsolete short poles) and were only stopped after a huge outcry and major input from the Mayor, the Councillor (Pam McConnell) and senior City staff.

Yes, Toronto Hydro Street Lighting are not at all civic minded and have no interest in 'beautification' or aesthetics. They recently started to install 40 foot concrete poles with Acorn lights in the residential part of St Lawrence south of The Esplanade (replacing old and obsolete short poles) and were only stopped after a huge outcry and major input from the Mayor, the Councillor (Pam McConnell) and senior City staff.
What is it about Toronto Hydro that they're so hostile to the public realm? Other cities manage to have electricity while burying wires along main streets. These clowns won't even remove rusting disused poles without a fight.

What is it about Toronto Hydro that they're so hostile to the public realm? Other cities manage to have electricity while burying wires along main streets. These clowns won't even remove rusting disused poles without a fight.
Though I think that Toronto Hydro Street Lighting have few valid excuses, their view is that they inherited (or were forced to buy) the street lights from the City and found they had been very poorly maintained for decades. Their story is that they spend every penny they have on essential repairs and have nothing left for 'frills'. They also cannot subsidise the street lighting part of their 'empire' from the distribution part of the company and the hydro rates are set by an outside Board anyway. They have a contact with the City to provide street lighting but it seems to me that it is somewhat one-sided as the City seems unable to get them to do anything other than the bare minimum of 'providing adequate lighting on the streets'. This contract is up for renewal so it MAY be adjusted, I hope!

I would say the TTC is a much bigger culprit when it comes to overhead distribution and ugly poles in the urban areas. Quite a few BIAs have hydro completely buried now but, it's all for not with the TTC still having their power cables draped on rusted poles. TTC's infrastructure on Queens Quay and Spadina are at least buried.

Yeah, Toronto Hydro has a massive backlog that no one is willing to cover the entire costs. Irony is to they are needing to dig up buried lines in the 1960s and 1970s suburbs and replace those before even considering burying more in the urban core.

Last edited:
I would say the TTC is a much bigger culprit when it comes to overhead distribution and ugly poles in the urban areas. Quite a few BIAs have hydro completely buried now but, it's all for not with the TTC still having their power cables draped on rusted poles.
The TTC are in the final stages of installing completely new poles for the (also new) streetcar overhead but, at least in St Lawrence, it has taken YEARS for Hydro to remove most of their wires and lights from old poles and move them to the new ones. Only after these attachments are removed can TTC remove the old rusted poles. (The old and new poles sat side by side on Adelaide from Church to Yonge for 4-5 years and were finally removed only a few months ago after THSL finally moved the streetlights over.)

Back