Toronto Backstage On The Esplanade | 116.73m | 36s | Cityzen | P + S / IBI

I must say I do find the curved front/north side of Backstage quite attractive, however the back/south side doesn't seem to relate at all with its flat slab design and appears awkward and unattractive IMO, unfortunately the south side is also where this tower is most visible ~

I can't help but get the sense that they're trying to make the southside of Backstage fit in with the building to the left and to the right (25 The Esplanade) so as to maintain conformity along that stretch. The north side design of the building would be quite jarring on the south side and would really break that up (for better or for worse).

Based on the location, it appears they are looking for an industrial look on the south side and a more cosmopolitan look on the north side which would complement the new L tower and the rest of downtown from that perspective.

It is strange to see how different one side of the building is from the other. But perhaps what's good for the north side isn't what's good for the south side.

Thats incredible, that they are building there. What urbanism from the Gardiner too. I love what that area will be like with L and this one coming up so soon! I really do like P+S. IMHO they are much better than aA.

Thats incredible, that they are building there. What urbanism from the Gardiner too.

i agree, it's unbelievable the ammount of development around the gardiner over the past 5 or 6 years, and so many more still being built (infinity, ice, the rest of cityplace should impact it, 33 bay, the L and now backstage plus afew others i'm not including) its amazing the building canyon the gardiner is getting

i agree, it's unbelievable the ammount of development around the gardiner over the past 5 or 6 years, and so many more still being built (infinity, ice, the rest of cityplace should impact it, 33 bay, the L and now backstage plus afew others i'm not including) its amazing the building canyon the gardiner is getting

Gee, there is still the tracks before the Gardiner Expy....I just dont think that L and Backstage can be considered part of the Gardiner building canyon, if thats the case you can include everything built and being built through Front/Wellington street all the way to Spadina.

Thats incredible, that they are building there. What urbanism from the Gardiner too. I love what that area will be like with L and this one coming up so soon! I really do like P+S. IMHO they are much better than aA.

.................what???

We are not going to start calling Backstage ' BS' are we?

The floorplans look quite well designed, which is great to see.
The north side looks well enough, but it seems to have used up all the team's design efforts, with nothing left over for the that blank-looking south side. Given its the building's future prominence and visibility, I hope the south facade gets some thoughtful work done between now and completion.

they do look fairly good except for the J and K units.

Actually I don't care for the floor plans - the only floor plans that seem to work are B, D, H and G and even they are suspect. I do think you could make "E" work though if you moved the Laundry to the bedroom and put the closet by the front door - making the living space a little bigger.

Smallspacebackstage3-1.jpg

Back