Toronto Aura at College Park | 271.87m | 78s | Canderel | Graziani + Corazza

I agree with you and Tewder, it is the very fact that there are 5 buildings in a complete row, which make this set special. Taking down any would diminish the whole, it ceases to be special or unique.

Trouble is, it would take some serious co-oporation between all the owners to restore them properly. The finish, colours, signage etc. would have to have some consistency, and I can't see that happening unless someone with a lot of spare change, and a great love for Toronto's history, bought them and did it.

I mean something like these: there are 5 of the same buildings in a row here. if you were to tear down one or two of them, you would still be able to see the history of what was on the site, but you also would be able to move forward with modernizing the strip and not allowing the street to rot in it's 19th century squalor.

Actually, the row you illustrated (an important early work of E.J. Lennox) is actually the least worthy of such decapitation-in-the-name-of-intensification along Yonge. That particular case is really an all-or-nothing situation...

I mean something like these: there are 5 of the same buildings in a row here. if you were to tear down one or two of them, you would still be able to see the history of what was on the site, but you also would be able to move forward with modernizing the strip and not allowing the street to rot in it's 19th century squalor.

The solution to rot is appropriate repair, not demolition. And who's to say that any replacement would be an automatic improvement?

From Yesterday

8174547638_144ca9a9b2_b.jpg

10 November 2012: Like Cal, I wasted 1 minute of my life taking & uploading a photo of this ____:

I would be willing to bet that Cal enjoys taking and posting photos of Aura. If you find it to be such a waste of your time, why bother?

Depends what there are 5 of. They kept one of the several highrises at the south end of Regent Park. That was enough for most folks.

They kept one of the Peter Dickinson apartments which I believe will be upgraded/renovated inside bringing it up to modern standards.

And to put up what, something better than what's already there and break up the block? How many examples of buildings like this that have been demolished or lost to fire and rebuilt can you list that are better than what you see here? Yes, they need some attention, at least half of buildings from this period scattered around downtown do. Lack of civic pride and neglect of our older, worthy building stock starts with the owners and apparently goes all the way down to the casual observer.

Because like Cal, I can't just walk by a building without taking a photo. OCD or aspergers?

For example, walking by the Bed store I was thinking how much I need a new bed. Then I thought hmm, this project feels very Blancouver. You know like something you'd see on Robson or Granville, only 3x the height.

20121110161554.jpg

But I get it. I know why many of you like it. Because it's the
20121110153042.jpg

Last edited:
Nevermind the awful tower, the podium has a pleasant Vancouver feel, not only in re the glass canopy. I like the multi-story retail. BBB feels like the Homesense at L'Hermitage on Robson. Although I wouldn't buy a bed at either.

Back