Toronto Aura at College Park | 271.87m | 78s | Canderel | Graziani + Corazza

AuraNov7-12E.png

Wow, this picture manages to make Yonge and Wellesley look decent! Haha, good shot though :)

Just a thought but who here really likes the old store front buildings along here on young and on queen, like i do!?..? i vote now to keep them and. if theres a need to build future highrises and supertalls then i say save the fronts i do not care about the insides of them so much as they are very small and cramped in most, but the fronts are what Toronto's all about for me when i go shopping here. They should all be saved. I do realize it would be expensive and hard to do so. But if anyone else agrees, maybe we should start some sort of petition to save them now before these all end up gone. it would be a shame to see them go in the future. i love the mix of row houses along these streets. such character. this shows more to me of torontos future then say some warehouse that made socks.

Last edited:
Just a thought but who here really likes the old store front buildings along here on young and on queen, like i do!?..? i vote now to keep them and. if theres a need to build future highrises and supertalls then i say save the fronts i do not care about the insides of them so much as they are very small and cramped in most, but the fronts are what Toronto's all about for me when i go shopping here. They should all be saved. I do realize it would be expensive and hard to do so. But if anyone else agrees, maybe we should start some sort of petition to save them now before these all end up gone. it would be a shame to see them go in the future. i love the mix of row houses along these streets. such character. this shows more to me of torontos future then say some warehouse that made socks.

I am all for preserving these store fronts if they can be restored to a pristine condition as was done with the "Five Thieves" development at Summerhill (see below). If they are just going to be left to deteriorate even further I would say lets take a wrecking ball to them and start fresh. I'm sick of looking at eyesores in this city!

201251-Shops-at-Summerhill_Image_02.jpg

Image credit: blogto.com

agreed all of them slowly to be restored of course. not in crumbling conditions. but i. figured that went with out saying. but your right

I say restore some, tear down some. if there are 5 of the same buildings in a row, tear down 2 of them, and keep the other 3.

I mean something like these: there are 5 of the same buildings in a row here. if you were to tear down one or two of them, you would still be able to see the history of what was on the site, but you also would be able to move forward with modernizing the strip and not allowing the street to rot in it's 19th century squalor.

55.jpg

I mean something like these: there are 5 of the same buildings in a row here. if you were to tear down one or two of them, you would still be able to see the history of what was on the site, but you also would be able to move forward with modernizing the strip and not allowing the street to rot in it's 19th century squalor.

55.jpg

This strip would look amazing if it were restored. I wouldn't want to lose any of it.

This strip would look amazing if it were restored. I wouldn't want to lose any of it.

Agreed. The repetitiveness of the form is part of what's important to the overall design here. Knocking any of them down would be like a dentist trying to preserve a smile by removing some teeth. I can't believe that somebody would ever advocate for this. At most, a Five-type integration would be acceptable... and in terms of balancing preservation with the need for density, even desirable.

I agree with you and Tewder, it is the very fact that there are 5 buildings in a complete row, which make this set special. Taking down any would diminish the whole, it ceases to be special or unique.

Last edited:

Back