Toronto Aura at College Park | 271.87m | 78s | Canderel | Graziani + Corazza

I called the builder and asked for a status update today.

They didn't give much information, but told me that 75 storeys was approved, and have to make many changes (didn't specify).

Sales would start next February or March.

Seems like some significant change, to delay the sales that much.

It's good news if they design and propose a structure of significance and that concerns me with a building as tall as this. A continuous flow of retail space at the street with an architecturally pleasing base & tower would be very good news for this area and for downtown. A design competition would be very exciting. Improvements are needed here (especially the top half).

ROCP3_revisedDec2006_Aura.jpg

The design needs a lot of work and given the prominance that height will give it on the skyline, they had better get it right.

I'd like to see the bottom half be more like the top half. I'd like to see a condo without balconies. Not that I hate balconies, but it's time for something WITHOUT them in Toronto.

that render looks perfect, a mix of smooth glass and glass edges. the base looks incredible too...if the top sleek glass part goes, it would really dissapoint.

A lot of changes were made throughout the summer - so that rendering doesn't really depict where things were as of a couple months ago.

What needs to go is the architectural firm. Graziani + Corazza have improved over the years, but not to the point that anyone should be trusting them with a landmark building of this scale. Can't Canderel get someone with some actual credentials to design this behemoth?

I'm not saying they should give it to aA: they are deserving, but not short of other work - nor KPMB: let's see how their results with One Bedford, Maple Leaf Square and the Festival Tower before they get more towers - nor any of the other usual suspects in this town like Zeidler, Page + Steele, Kirkor, Burka Varacalli, etc. If any local firm should be working to compliment Eaton's College Street, I'd like it to be Hariri Pontarini whose McKinsey building and One St. Thomas plans indicate they know how to work with the materials and the proportions that could create a truly memorable project here.

If not them, then I'd like to see this one go outside the city to another modernist firm. From Canada I'd be happy to hear that west coasters Peter Busby or the Patkaus were working on it, or Quebecers Saucier + Perotte or Dan Hanganu were in charge. Otherwise this project is big enough to attract international interest from the likes of Foster, Rodgers, Nouvel, OMA, Ma, etc.

This is a huge site (for downtown) and a massive tower. Why blow the potential on second rate G + C?

So it will be a while before we see a rendering, I'm assuming.

But we can be assured it will come in around the 240 Meter mark as the number of storeys was not reduced.

This is great!

I hope it has a big, tall, glassy podium... not as concerned about the tower.

Edit: something like this would be nice...

999994.jpg

Now this may anger a few modernist worshipers on this board but you know who would design the perfect building for this site? Robert Stern! His building would respect College Park and much like 1 St Tom's ultimately be timeless. These glass buildings are a pain to keep clean and go in and out of fashion; limestone shall always be fashionable!

Canderal: are you listening?

Now this may anger a few modernist worshipers on this board but you know who would design the perfect building for this site? Robert Stern! His building would respect College Park and much like 1 St Tom's ultimately be timeless. These glass buildings are a pain to keep clean and go in and out of fashion; limestone shall always be fashionable!

As one who worships at the altar of Modernism, I would love to see a limestone structure by Stern or a master/mistress of the old. Ironically, all of the buildings torn down to make way for the parking lot were faced in limestone.

ROCP 1 and 2 pulled from College Park with it's "art deco inspired" architecture. Look what happened. I don't dislike ROCP 1 and 2, the deco-retro attempt was noble and it almost succeeds on some levels; it's the base, setback and roof design & materials that went wrong.
I'd like to see a bold, original, functional and street friendly building here. That's probably too much to ask for in this city but it never hurts to express opinions. I'm not a height freak (although I do believe it makes logical sense to build higher than we are in Toronto) but this building has a very prominent location and will be a real eye catcher with 70 floors. There is a great opportunity here but I cringe to think of what Canderal is going to propose next. It would be really tragic to see another mediocre glass and concrete clone go up.

I'd like to see the bottom half be more like the top half. I'd like to see a condo without balconies. Not that I hate balconies, but it's time for something WITHOUT them in Toronto.

Right on phunky! It's the bottom that needs redesign not the top, the top is elegant and sleek. Although I don't like balconies, this design is OK unlike others...

Back