Toronto Aura at College Park | 271.87m | 78s | Canderel | Graziani + Corazza

I would love to see a limestone structure by Stern or a master/mistress of the old.

Try resurrecting the old Eaton's College Street tower proposal. A taller, less bulky version of it might fit on the parking lot.

I wonder if there will ever be a day when a developer will approach the city to build the Eaton's Tower for office or residential following the original plans. Like urbandreamer said, a stern building for ROCP 3 would be great. I just don't think they could sell upper high end units at that corner.

I wonder if there will ever be a day when a developer will approach the city to build the Eaton's Tower for office or residential following the original plans.

Considering the original plan was to build over the entire block it will never happen. Unless somebody has plans to take down ROCP 1 & 2 and the other buildings on the block.

Now this may anger a few modernist worshipers on this board but you know who would design the perfect building for this site? Robert Stern! His building would respect College Park and much like 1 St Tom's ultimately be timeless. These glass buildings are a pain to keep clean and go in and out of fashion; limestone shall always be fashionable!

As long as you refrain from hackneyed "timeless" and "always be fashionable" rhetoric, it could be an intriguing alternate idea.

Also remember re limestone precedents: the John Lyle bank at the corner of Yonge + Gerrard...

I would prefer the stark contrast of glass and modern here, whereby both buildings get to stand out through their juxtoposition to each other. It's working well at the Distillery (ducking the rotten fruit that will be lobbed) and I think it would really work well here. I am not an enemy of 'faux', but I think in this context it does a disservice to the older original building, as well as to itself. Of course limestone accents with glass would always be welcomed!

^^ I agree. The Elephant and Castle building could work nicely with a podium on RoCP3's glass podium. At issue would be every hideous building on the other side of Yonge at that corner, including the Big Slice, jewelry store, College Apartments and that Ottawa-like concrete tower on Yonge direclty across from College Park apartments. No new building should ever consider trying to "blend in" or "reflect" those buildings in the neighbourhood. Rather, I'd rather add them all to the buildings we'd like to demolish thread.

I do rather like the older building across Yonge street which is now home to Ginger. It has recently been given a new lick of paint which is a huge improvement. I suspect that underneath might lie a decent little winner.

I am not an enemy of 'faux', but I think in this context it does a disservice to the older original building, as well as to itself.

I'm gonna agree with you here, that although an olde bvilding might work on this block and in this context, a great modern building could be just as good, or possibly better. I really wish, though, that modern didn't always have to translate as "glass box o'balconies."

Thankfully this one has few balconies on the higher floors. Lets see if they can make that smooth glass at the top a reality.

Balconies suck as far as the exterior of the building is concerned, I'll have to assume they're a important selling feature for condo buyers though.

Balconies can look great and I wouldn't buy anything without a large balcony...but that rendering looks exactly like every other recent building in the city. Where's the variety?

Well, how about the 1BE approach, with enclosed balconies (= sunrooms?). If the wind is a problem at higher floors (as appears to be the case from the 1BE wind tunnel tests), they might be necessary in any case.

Bill

Back